[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Boo's attempt

Boo's attempt

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Boo's attempt

Postby Myrth » Thu May 30, 2013 10:50 am

Marvelous!
Myrth

Postby boo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Halfway through my PDC at the moment - and loving every minute of it too! Two weeks ago I drove home from the PDC and I swear I was two inches taller (might have been the thick layer of freshly turned compost stuck to the bottom of my boots though). Tomorrow morning I get to see David Holmgren's place with the other PDC students and the tutors.

Garden update: I bought a mini greenhouse (a month ago) and assembled it this morning so that I can (hopefully) grow all year round (even if it's just salad veggies). I've added two loganberries and a cherry tree to the garden this past week. Photo's will be taken as soon as I can find the time.
boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:04 pm

I am sure you will enjoy the greenhouse. My neighbor has one and helps me raise tomato plants with it. I do not have a window with enough sun to raise them successfully at my place. I have decided against cherries here on the Hill, the birds get them all if you don't cover them with netting. That always seemed like a lot of work to me, and I like the No Work theory of Gardening. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby boo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I have crammed as many fruit trees into my little plot as I can manage.... :oops: I don't think the birds will be able to see the cherries because of the other trees growing alongside (I might have trouble finding the cherries myself :? )
boo

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:43 pm

We need a like button.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Congratulations on getting trees in the ground! Boo, did you put the cherries anywhere near the mulberries? Reports say that given a choice, birds will eat the mulberries first.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Oh No Lolly, I planted 4 mulberry trees last spring [ 3 of them made it ] I didn't know that the Birds liked then more than Cherries. Will I have to get netting for then to get any crop? Oh Poop, I didn't want to have to put up netting. :lol: Maybe I will just do what I do with the Blueberrys, you know, Let the Birds Win. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Guy, I'm not sure about your little mountaintop, but where I am growing trees, those mulberries multiply almost as fast as the rabbits! Even here in town I am fighting it like crazy, with one mulberry tree that was desired and 8 more that get chopped down every single year.
Lollykoko

Postby boo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm toying with the idea of planting a mulberry but they get huge don't they?
My entire block measures 20.5 metres on both the left and right side of the block, 22.2 metres at the back and 23.6 metres at the front - then the house and garage take up space so there isn't much left.
The fuzzy photo I'm uploading is of my block - the top shiny roofed house and garage towered over by a huge oak is my place so you can see where the boundary fence is (kind of anyway) and this is the plot that I'm trying to micro-farm.The garage is on my boundary fence on the left facing the road (just below the house)and there is a laneway on the right hand side of my block (top of photo), the longer shiny roofed building on the right hand side of the photo backs up to my rear boundary fence.
boo

Postby boo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Is anyone interested in seeing my PDC "assignment" when I'm finished? (For the next 7 weeks I'll be working on a plan of what my garden will look like when I've finished it).
boo

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads