[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - A few pictures of my summer projects...

A few pictures of my summer projects...

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

A few pictures of my summer projects...

Postby matt walker » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Well, I've been remiss on updates, and this is going to be a quick picture post because I've got big Rocket Stove plans for today and am itching to get started. But, I took some photos the other day in hopes of showing you guys what I've been up to. I'm planning on making a video to describe what I've done, and also update the garden/hugel/swale videos, but I'll get to those later. In the meantime, here's my friend Eric with an incredible axe throw from a few years ago. We were going for the big round in the center of the wood shed. Sorry for the swearing....

I'm putting that here so you can see what it looked like a couple years ago. Woodshed full of 10 cords or so, tall trees on the hill to the South, no light, dark moldyness everywhere on the back side of the house. Constant wet ground, and a flooded basement due to the moisture.

Here's what's been going on these last few months, and why I haven't been posting much....

I'm going to have to come do explanations later, but new root cellar, greenhouse, drainage, terraces, swales, etc.

More pics here:

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/mremine/
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: A few pictures of my summer projects...

Postby boo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:56 am

It all looks awesome Matt.......love that greenhouse! (I'm really, really jealous now)
boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:05 am

I was more interested in what looks like it might be the root cellar in the bank behind the green house. Close to the house, handy, but seporate which makes a lot of sense in the design. Any pictures of the building process there Matt?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks very much. Guy, I appreciate that you can see what I was going for there. Convenient access but decoupled from the warm greenhouse. I have some more pictures of the construction, but not many because I was just working flat out while I had the machine here. I was borrowing it and was never sure if I was going to have it again the next day, so I took very few pictures and just worked my butt off while it was here. It's way too nice outside right now to be in here, so I'll post more later when I upload some more pics, but here's the beginning of the root cellar build.

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lemicha » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Looks fantastic Matt! I also find it hard to sit on the computer posting etc... when the weather is right and there is plenty to do outside ;) Thanks for sharing!
Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Postby missusmlaargh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 pm

I am so jealous of that greenhouse. I need to get me one of those.

What's growing in there?
missusmlaargh

Postby matt walker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Hey there, you! Yep, you need one. It is awesome. As for what's growing, well, it's only like half finished 'cause it got too hot to work in there, so I've got about a dozen or so potted things in there for now. Next year I should have some bigger beds and better layout. But, for now, peppers! Which I'm thrilled about, I've been stuffing 'em with cream cheese and stuff and wrapping them with bacon and putting them on the grill. Which is awesome. Also, some ginger plants, tomatoes, cukes, melons, a lemon tree, a lime tree, uh, what else? Basil, oh uh, ground cherries, which are also awesome. Hmmm, some starts like anise hyssop and rhubarb and stuff that I'm spreading out around the property. Some herbs, summer savory, zataar, marjoram, some shallots, some tomatillos. Huh, that sounds like more than it looks like. Anyway, it's awesome, I'm loving it. Wish I could show it to you guys in person, miss ya.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby missusmlaargh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 pm

That is so rad. We've been talking about making one with the old hoop house frames, just have to figure out where to put it (and cross my fingers the mr. will ever do it, ha). The dream is to have a tropical paradise of edibles and flowers, planted in the ground. This lady needs an oasis.

I miss you too, man. I have been thinking a lot about your property and all the cool projects you are always embarked on over there. I would love to come up and visit again to get inspired.
missusmlaargh

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Well missusmlaargh, you don't have to worry about your Mister building you a Green house, if a man says he is going to do something, he will do it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there is no need for you to remind him every 6 months, ;) lol
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby missusmlaargh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Ha!
missusmlaargh

Next

Return to Members' 'steads