Life On The Hill

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Life On The Hill

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:50 pm

I have had several suggestions of better ways to clean the bricks. Rubbing them together so you get 2 instead of one, using one of those boot cleaners to scarp of the mortar, etc etc. Your idea would be great, except I have no electric down there in the woods yet. So I would have to load the bricks, carry then to the house, then clean them, then carry them back down to the woods. The best way I have found so far is sitting in a chair, using a rock hammer to knock of the thick mortar off, scraping the hammer across the brick to get the rest of the mortar off, and them putting them on the pallet . I have to handle each brick many time as I pick it up, clean one side, flip it over, clean another side, do the ends, do the sides, place it in a pile, then when I get enough, maybe 10 or 12 I get up, stretch my legs, and stack them on a pallet. Its not all that hard, its just labor intensive and time consuming. :o
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 am

Well, I like the "sitting in a chair" part. I used to work with a guy that said he would do anything I you could give him a seat and a motor. :lol:

When I built the bench for my rocket stove I used a stone chisel and a carpenters hammer to clean the salvaged bricks. It didn't take too long but there was only a hundred and thirty or so, and I tried to pick the cleanest ones when I loaded them. And if you break one- then you got two.

I could see a chair and some gin and a pile of bricks being a pleasant summer day. ;)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 pm

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I never thought of that. :lol: That might make the job more pleasant !!!!!!!! Oh Wait, I forgot, That makes me take back things I never stole !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:25 pm

I've already forgotten what the bricks are going to be used for Guy. Do you have a project on the horizon that will use all of them? I'd probably work in stages, clean some, build something, clean some more. Either way, it doesn't sound like too bad of a way to while away a few hours, all things considered.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 pm

My original thought was to build a straw bale building and use the bricks for the floor. Maybe a Forge, maybe storage, maybe more garage space, maybe I don't know what it will be used for, just something I have always wanted to do. Now I am re-thinking that idea. I have looked into straw slip, I have considered conventional stick building, I am up in the air so to speak. In either case, it will take me awhile to clean the bricks, so I have time to think and consider my options.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Oh, and of course I need approval from the zoning officer, :lol: I did not discuss the purchase of the bricks with her before I bought them, and quite frankly she thinks a building down in the woods is the stupidest idea I have ever had :lol: :lol: So the plans are a little bit flexible at this point. But I am still pecking away at cleaning the bricks, by the time I get them all cleaned I am sure we will have a plan. ;)

PS That could of course take years. :)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:22 pm

How is the brick cleaning coming, Guy? I was thinking of you the other day- I was sitting down deep in the woods trying to show the herd that there was some forage still available down there (as opposed to feed in the barn) and thinking that you're probable enjoying your brick project this time of year. A flannel shirt, a lawn chair, and a chisel... sounds pleasant. I might be inclined to start a fire!
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:50 pm

The Bricks have been taking a back seat Manny. I have not cleaned any more for awhile now. I helped my son move into his home last week, He got a job in the Northern Tier of Pa and rented a house in the town where he works. Its a cute place, very clean, older 2 story home, 2 bed room house with a full basement. He was down here yesterday and we loaded up my truck with a used freezer he bought, a large dresser, a desk, book case, 2 end tables , and a large cooler full of apple sauce that his wife and his Mother made while he was here. There was much more on that truck than I though would fit in a small short bed Dodge. I am about ready to start sucking up my leaves that have been falling. Planted 5 rows of garlic this week, 3 rows of hard neck garlic and 2 rows of soft neck garlic. I got the soft neck from my neighbor, it is supposed to keep better than the hard neck. I have to say that I hope it grows better in my garden than it did in his. The garlic he gave me was very small and had misshapen heads. I did make an investment in equipment this week. Got the main hydraulic cylinders on the tractor fixed. The one had a broken part inside and the other was leaking pretty good. It will be nice to have a tractor that actually works for a change. :lol: So I guess I have been busy, but not busy with the Bricks. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Gosh, you have been busy, Guy. Is this the same son who does the bees? Did you move those too?

I'm really glad you mentioned garlic. Sheesh! I completely forgot about it! I need to get some in the ground! My asparagus bed is adjacent to my garlic and the asparagus has crept in and is now overtaking the garlic area. I'll have to find another place for garlic because I actually like that my asparagus is expanding. My neighbor grows acres of organic garlic for the farmers market in Chicago so he is my go-to source for bulbs. I'll have to fill a growler with homebrew and go pay him a visit.

I suppose the bricks can wait. ;) It sounds like you've had some very good distractions!
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Yes, the bricks will be there when ever I get around to them. :D The son in question is my youngest, the bees are kept by my oldest, both live in northern Pa about 15 miles apart and both are Presbyterian Ministers. Turns out they are very religious, I don't know where they get it, must be their Mother. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads