[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Another Illinois 'stead

Another Illinois 'stead

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Another Illinois 'stead

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu May 08, 2014 11:25 pm

Spring is finally here and I have finished planting my own little food forest as previously planned().

The only thing I changed was that I flipped the rows so the larger nut producing trees are to the north of the shorter fruits to prevent shading and create a multi-layered food system from north to south. I planted a pretty good mix of pears, cherries, plums, white walnut, pecan, almond, pawpaw, jostaberry, kiwi, hazelnuts (lots of hazelnuts), so many different kinds of raspberries that bear at different times... I organize a tree sale every year through work which allowed me to buy the plants bare root at cost, and choose the species I wanted. Perks. 8-)

This was really a planned endeavor that turned out pretty well. I had the pigs in there last year and they worked that area up for me pretty well, fertilized it, and gave me half a ton of pork for the freezer. I don't see keeping pigs for several years at this point and when I do it will only be at selective times of years to clean up the fruit/nut drop for a short period of time in that area. With the other area fenced in now I can focus in on fencing 3 more paddocks to the south and turn the goats into those to work down the woody veg and provide me another service, as well as meat. It won't be long til the ducks and geese are big enough to work through the orchard area and keep that tamed. I'm going to move the rabbit tractors out there soon too for some rotational grazing between the rows. I've got things figured so that my 3 does with litters can raise their litters with enough space to move each tractor every day or two.

I also planted another 1/4 acre of pollinator plants for the bees this year. This keeps another area of my yard free from grass that needs mowing and provides bee food throughout the growing season.

I had a large group of college kids out at my place last week for a field lecture and one of the questions was how much am I saving by growing my own food? That's a tough question to answer at this point. I know how much I'm still spending on the little bit that I need to buy but have no idea about what I'm not buying by foraging and growing; not to mention the difference in quality between homegrown vs. store bought.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Wow, good work man. That's a lot of planting, and I love the variety and overall plan. It's really great to read about your progress, I think we are on the same timeline. I've got a box of trees waiting on the front porch right now.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Yeah! Sweet! I'll bet those hugel/swales are going to keep you in food like crazy once they mature. Not that you're not growing a ton of food already!
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat May 17, 2014 3:47 am

Well friends, this 'stead just got a little smaller... I tied the knot with my life mate last weekend. I'm really fortunate to have met a girl that has the same motivations as I, not to mention can put on the boots and shovel sh*t with the best of 'em (all while laughing and having a homebrew).

I'm not posting this so much for fishing for congratulations, though. I wanted to make this post because for those folks with our line of interests something like a wedding can be hard. All that "stuff"! All that single-use, disposable-living.... That just aint us. So this wedding this was tough for both me and my lovely bride. We managed to find an old historic site that is in the process of being renovated. There's an old dairy barn that has had the stanchions removed and a bar installed made of old barn boards. Wish I had some pictures, but they all have our guests in them and I'm not sure the guests would appreciate their photos being posted. Anyway, I grew up in NW Illinois and I've acquired a good group of friends in my life. Working in the restaurant biz for too many years I have worked with the best of them. A close friend of mine shut down his restaurant for the weekend to host us a hog roast and it was truly memorable. The few hog farmers that are still raising hogs around me are really raising some nice stuff. We got a red waddle from nearby. We also managed to get a good supply of root vegetables from last fall that stored very well. It's the right time of year for fresh greens, and we had some stuffed mushrooms for the vegans attending (mushrooms are popping here, too). The site was located out in the country by a river below some bluffs. Rumor has it Chief Blackhawk stood up on that bluff and gave an important speech to a number of tribes who had united there just before they were all massacred.

One thing I couldn't do was provide homebrew due to liquor license issues. So we did actually go all out on that... 4 kegs of Deschutes... For dishware we were able to rent some hard plates, silverware, and mason jars and it was pretty inexpensive. My daughter folded 1000 origami cranes for decorations. Along with that, we had numerous fossils on the tables from our collection... we were actually hoping some folks would take them 'cause we have so many. When all was said and done, we didn't pay for much more than some kegs of beer and a hog and some vegetables, plus a minor rental fee. Price aside, we utilized everything and reused much of it.... nothing went to waste (didn't make any bone sauce from the hog though). It probably took a little more effort than going to some reception hall or buying a bunch of disposable stuff, but the guests all "got it" and I feel like we made some impressions about our lifestyle and interests where we could have gone same 'ol, same 'ol.

Regardless, life is good. I'm one lucky guy.
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Sun May 18, 2014 12:34 am

Congratulations, Manny! The wedding sounds to have been a wonderful, memorable event for you and your guests. Best wishes as the two of you move forward with your life plans.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Mon May 19, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeah man, that would be really tough. I think you guys did a great job of balancing your values without having them hanging over the whole event like a wet blanket. I imagine it was a wonderful celebration, and I can confirm it man, you are one lucky guy! My best to both of you, congrats.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue May 20, 2014 1:37 pm

I just got back from Ky and now have the time to read everyone's posts. That is wonderful new Manny, I am sure you two will have many happy times together. All my Best to you Both. Kiss the Bride for me, :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby dave brenneman » Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm

congrats, manny. Here's to many happy years for you both.
dave brenneman

Postby TruGrit » Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 pm

.. way to go Manny .. life is so much better when ya got someone to share it with!! .. congrats!
TruGrit

Postby GrahamB » Thu May 22, 2014 3:39 am

Congratulations to you both! I wish you all the good fortune for the future. The wedding sounds like it was a perfect occasion. 1000 origami cranes? That young lady has staying power!
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads