Another Illinois 'stead

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Another Illinois 'stead

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 am

I worked my ass off this weekend. I woke up this morning aching in every muscle and it felt great! All that work and my back is much better. That's what I needed, a good sweat and a good butt whoopin. It was pretty hot here, I should have been working more on this barn but by late morning I was seeking shade and by afternoon it was time to go inside and work on inside projects, like the cookstove. I did get a little farther on the building:

It's almost ready to start sheeting. I got the ok from the building inspector today and set the posts for the covered entrances this evening. Tomorrow a tandem load of gravel and a skidloader are coming to build up a base and level the inside, then sheeting and door framing will begin.

With all the stuff I got done this weekend, I actually spent the majority of my time felling, bucking, and splitting a large dead white elm that has been looming over my road for the last couple months. I can't wait to get that woodshed full, but that's another thread, another time. I'm almost there, and that elm added a good bit to it.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 am

Oh yeah, also wanted to pester Matt for more info about your 12 volt PV system with the LED lights- Do you run a charge controller on that? I want to put a little panel up for the barn needs, and have a couple odd batteries around. Can I just wire the panel straight to the batteries or do I need a charge controller? I don't want to run lighting 24 hours, just on a timer for the egg layers to extend their day, and some utility lighting on a switch when I'm out there.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 am

Man, you got a LOT done over the weekend. Good job man, amazing progress on the building.

Yeah, you need a little charge controller. My watering wheelbarrow has a 50w panel with this controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-7-Amp-Ch ... controller

And I use this one with the 100w panel.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-60032-Di ... BFDBD1EF5N
It's over sized, but I plan on expanding at some point. Adding more lighting as we speak.

These are the utility lights I like....

http://www.amazon.com/LENBO-White-Water ... V92JXN4VEW

They aren't that bright, but they are still brighter than I want usually. They are good for indoor stuff as well, probably better than the strip lights unless you want low level light.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks, Matt. I thought there was probably a controller involved. I've seen a lot of kits on Amazon with panels and controllers, they are so cheap! I've been kind of locked into the 250+ watt panels like I use on my house that seem to be quite a bit more, but I think these little ones will be perfect.

The waterproof spots should work too, but I think the poultry need more UVs to them active. I think those are the "brilliant white" or "bright white". I'll have to do some research on that.
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 pm

In controllers its all about the size. The controller for my electric car which can handle 144 volts and a max of 500 amps cost $1500 new. Controllers for golf carts that run on 48 volts only cost a couple of hundred. As some people like to say, size does matter. :lol: :lol: I was surprised at the very low cost of the 12 volt controllers you are using Matt, I feel they are truly a bargain. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:25 am

Here's a little update on the chicken palace. It's coming along. I have the roof on, floor leveled, ready to put windows on, track up for the sliding door, sheeting is starting.

Picked up my rain tank today. No big-ag here, it came from a local distillery. Pre-sanitized. ;)

mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Wow man, great work, you are cruising along. What's the deal with the little utility vehicle? That thing looks awesome!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Oh that utility vehicle isn't mine, I'm just making some repairs on it. It definitely has been providing some utility around my place in the meantime. Gonna have to send it back soon though.
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 am

Quick update on the barn. Outside is pretty much done. Just have to hang the gutters, front window and doors. Side windows are in. Floor is filled and leveled.

The animals are already making themselves at home. If you look closely you can see the sliding door is built and strapped to the far wall to keep the little jerks from knocking it over. I'm hoping to get it sealed and hung this weekend, build the interior wall, and get that last window in the front... and get the gutter on and put the water collection thing in place. I started building a stand for it tonight but need another board. I've been pretty good at salvaging wood but I want a nice heavy treated board for the stand since it will be holding over a ton of water when full. Can't wait to wrap this project up and get back to stoves.

I'm already seeing the fault that I won't be able to get a machine in there. The slope is just too high to make it possible while keeping the solar envelope design and collecting water to the high side for the food forest.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:35 am

That looks fantastic Manny, you are cruising along for sure. It's a big project, I can believe you are ready to finish it! Almost there man.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads