Brand New Permstead in KY

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Brand New Permstead in KY

Postby Natasha » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:11 am

Hey Everybody,

Our family is in the middle of buying a property in Kentucky. It has an old house we want to renovate to suit permaculture. We are on here to learn as much as possible about installing rainwater catchment for drinking and other use, hot water heating, house heating, passive cooling, you name it; we need it. We're even looking into making our own milk paint for the inside walls. Anyone with good experience is welcome to share their thoughts/ideas. We're loving Matt's threads on his rocket mass heaters so far! Unfortunately, I think that would only work for us a few months out of the year, so we'll be looking for other ideas for other times of the year. Also, our fireplace area is on floor trusses, so I think we would have to strengthen them before they could hold a RMH . . .

We hope to do swales, animals, gardens, orchards, the whole nine yards, so I'm sure it's going to be a very long process. We'd love to share if anyone is interested in the progress.
Natasha

Re: Brand New Permstead in KY

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 am

Welcome Natasha, I am sure you will find many helpful tips here. There is a wealth of information about many subjects on this site. It would be nice to hear about your property, where is it located, how large, what is the house like? Any information can be helpful in making suggestions that might work. You don't need to give any personal details, but a general description of what your concerns are and what you hope to accomplish would be a help. ;)

PS Pictures are always nice, :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:36 am

Welcome Natasha!
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Welcome Natasha! Of course we're interested, please do share! Can't wait to see your place and your plans. It's so fun to follow along and I always learn so much from other folks' homesteading adventures. Glad you're here!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby dave brenneman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome! Approximately where in KY are y'all located?
dave brenneman

Postby boo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello Natasha :D
boo

Postby GrahamB » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Welcome Natasha, to the friendliest permaculture/homesteading hangout on the web. We are all trying different projects and none of us are scared to tell about our failures as well as our successes. That way we learn more from each other. :D
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:59 am

Welcome, Natasha. I have to echo Graham, you won't find a nicer bunch of folks. I'm looking forward to learning more about your site. :)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to Members' 'steads