[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Electric Cars and Tractors

Electric Cars and Tractors

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Electric Cars and Tractors

Postby matt walker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

That is great Guy. Your fiero is really a good looking car as well as being so neat mechanically.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 pm

She's a Goodun but I'll sell Her, ;) :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Here is the Car that in my opinion gave the electric car a bad name. It was slow, under powered, limited seating, limited range, but most of all it was ugly. This is the kind of problems that most people associate with electric vehicles, and that is why many people feel they are impractical . It has been described as looking like a wedge of cheese. When you think of an electric vehicle this is the type of crap that most people bring to mind. They don't think of the Tesla, they think of the Citicar. Here is a good video showing the car in detail. By the way, you can buy one of these very cheaply, so if you really want to experiment with an electric car this could be your 1st. Before you buy one though I suggest you look at my comments above 1st, slow, under powered, limited seating, limited range, and UGLY. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVcXgzWEODc
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

All that you say is in fact true, Guy. But you could have said those things about the Model A as well. :lol: See what 100 years of has done for combustion engines!

Right now I live in town, on flat ground. Everything I "need" is available within 5 miles of my door. A little job like that Citicar would get me to and from the grocery or library easily enough. No, it wouldn't have the power I need at the farm when a mile of road changes elevation 3 times with a 60' difference between the highs and lows. But, if that was what was available nearly 40 years ago, is it any wonder that the Tesla has so many things going for it today?
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:11 pm

You may be right Lolly. I am taking about a veh that was made 40 years ago when there was no real diagram or model for an electric car. If you want one for your in town travels I have seen then on electric car sites on line for as little as $500 in running condition. I have also seen them for several 1000 dollars on line, so watch your self if you plan on buying. If they are not in running condition you have no idea what all might be wrong with them, but because they are a low voltage unit the parts are not really that much money. Its a good way to go electric for little money, and you would definitely turn heads with that car today. :lol: Even if only for people to say,,,,,,,,,What the Heck was that ????? ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby GrahamB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:36 am

I was a motor technician for twenty five years and I have probably driven more vehicles than most. From kit cars to Lamborghinis, from Austin Minis to Volvo F88s. But that Citicar reminds me of the only vehicle to ever scared the crap out of me. It's not an electric car but sticking a huge bank of lead acid batteries in it might have made it safer.
[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvANYNQtyM[/url}
If you've ever tried to run with a loaded wheelbarrow, and then turned a corner, you will have some idea what this thing was like to drive.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm

The Three wheel design with only one wheel in the front was a bad idea. It is very unstable. There have been many 3 wheelers, here is an electric car owned by one of the members of our electric car club. Its called a Zap, very cheap , very low voltage, very slow, very low range, but it has the advantage of being a good neighborhood veh. It can get you around in the city, in your neighborhood where you do not have to get out on the highway and reach 50 or 60mph. The 3 wheel design with 2 wheels in the front and one in the back is much more stable. But as Lolly pointed out, for her use in town it would do every thing she has to do very well, and it is cheap. As a 2nd car for daily use to get to work a few miles, go to the grocery store, take the kids to soccer practice, get to church, it can handle those tasks very well, and save you a lot of gas. Its all about changing the way we think about our cars, and how we use them.

http://www.paelectrics.com/images/xebra-ps_500.jpg
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Graham, I can understand your concern about that 3 wheel car. The wheelbase is very long and narrow, which isn't the best for stability's sake.

Guy, I tried your link and got a 403 error. Is the site "membership only"?
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm

I always loved this one:

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

I can't understand why it will not open for you Lolly, it works fine here for me. Its just a picture of a 3 wheel electric car called Zap. Try one of the electric car site I had posted easier and look up Zap. :) Matt, that video shows the inherent problems and instabilities with 3 wheeled vehicles. They can make a stable 3 wheeled car if you put 2 wheels in the front and one in the rear. The design with only one wheel in the front simply does not work well. :o
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads