Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby wileythenord » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm

I know that feeling, my wife and I went out for a bike ride one day last summer, had a babysitter for the kids, expected to ride all afternoon, notice it getting cloudy, turned back headed home, 10 miles from home all hell broke loose, rained on for 10 miles, pulled in driveway, huge black gum tree across the driveway fence and powerline....then the rain stopped....
wileythenord

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 pm

I have a bunch of trees down across the paths in the woods. They will still be there when the snow melts. I don't get too exited about that any more. There is always tomorrow. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:27 pm

... snow has come to the Carolinas! .. me, not a big fan, but the yups really come alive in the stuff .. yeah, high four!

... our dead end road always causes fits to the newspaper runner, mail man, u.p.s. .. getting stuck every year, but not this year, got to play snowplow man with my scrape blade ..

.. mystery box! .. yes, my new soapstone stove has arrived .. will be breaking that open today!!

.. hope y'all are staying warm .. 7* here last night and only high of 17* today .. let's see how fast I can instal that stove .. :D
TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Its fun to play in the snow with your tractor Tru, have fun, stay warn, dress in layers, and don't stay out too long at a time, you don't want frost bite. My next door neighbor always comes up and plows my driveway with his tractor, he likes to play in the snow as much as you do. :lol: Glad your stove finally arrived. I look forward to pictures of the unit installed and working. With this cold snap you should have a great first test of how well it will heat your home. Hope you don't have any trouble lifting it off your truck and into the house, I know you said that thing is very heavy.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Sheesh, took long enough for that thing to arrive! Looking forward to seeing that stove installed. It sounds like Drew is super happy with his this year.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby TruGrit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:09 pm

... that forklift on the Massey sure came in handy .. good for picking up piles of brush, and good for lifting a 700 # stove off the truck and in thru the double doors and on to a set of dollys .. easy peasy .. :lol:

.. stripped it down as much as I could to lift it off the pallet and then back on to the dollys again .. 8 - 250 # dead lifts so far .. two more to go .. gettin' my workouts in ... :shock:

.. set into place for final measurements .. I'm thinking this is the definition of upgrade ... :D

TruGrit

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Holy ....! :shock: That thing is huge!
I never realized how big they are! I bet you're gonna love it!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby michaelegan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:20 pm

looks good tru. nothing warms like a wood fire on a cole winter night and that stove will put out some btu's! We haven't had that much snow up here in northern illinois but February has been way colder than normal. post pictures when you get it going.
michaelegan

Postby matt walker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Oh man! That's exciting, and I second Manny's comment about the size, even though I've seen it in person. Those things will throw some heat! Let's see her burn!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby TruGrit » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 pm

.. just got 'er done .. it's 48* out, so good day to open up the house and do some small seasoning burns .. turning cold again tomorrow (19*) so we're all set ... bring it on! .. :lol:

TruGrit

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads