Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby GrahamB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 am

I'm just in awe of what you are finding there. I'm on the edge of my seat every time i open this thread. :)
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby TruGrit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:17 am

Lolly, the original farmers cut in a lot of drainage all over this place .. every slope has a number of small ditches draining into a larger ditch crossing the base of the slope and heading for the creek .. it's really amazing the work that took, prolly dug by hand ..

.. I have lots of good spots for gardens and orchards, but won't be able to get that started for another year, so in the meantime, I been studying all about different types of growing methods to figure out what will suit us best ..

.. I was just looking into hydro power today .. I don't understand it yet, so hard to tell if it will work here .. I'll keep looking at it till something sinks in .. :shock:

Graham, I know what ya mean, I can't wait to get out there every day and tromp around to see what I might find .. I'm sure we've already seen all the big stuff, but I am hoping to find some little surprise still hiding out there .. we still have over a third of the property that is so overgrown, I've only been able to walk the perimeter .. who knows what may lurk out in that wilderness ... :o
TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:01 pm

... took this one last Thursday .. my little road got all covered in this cold white stuff that fell outta the sky .. we don't get a lot of that here in the Carolinas .. sure was purty though ..

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:18 pm

The Ground Hog said it would, :lol: 6 more weeks of Winter, :lol: Enjoy the snow while you can, I know it won't last long in your area. The snow does help with the water table, it can soak into the ground as it slowly melts. Of course it may melt so fast down there that it all runs off and does not get a chance to soak in to the ground. :o either way it won't last for long down your way, sort of like that snowballs chance in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, you know, some warm place like North Carolina. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:23 pm

.. after Chestnut was mentioned the other day, that got me wonderin' .. so I got a shot this morning hoping someone could tell the wood .. it may need cutting to tell, but don't wanna do that just yet .. does this shed any light, or are more/better pix needed?

.. the other shot is of the 150 year old ax work on the beams ...

TruGrit

Postby DevilsBrew » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:28 pm

A wild guess that it is hickory. Again, a wild guess based on the bark and no leaves. Hopefully a pro around here can give you the answer.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby TruGrit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:53 pm

.. The Crossing .. digging out an old collapsed bridge that was clogging the creek .. to make way for the install of a culvert, opening up another third of the property ..

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Good work there Grit, I see you drove your truck down that far now, feels good not to have to walk it any more doesn't it? Opening up that last 1/3 of the land will feel just as good, and I am sure there are more treasures to be discovered on that other side of the creek. ;) There may be a lot more work to be done, but opening up the land so you can get to it, drive on it, enjoy it, has to feel good. You have made some Great progress already, keep up the good work my friend. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 pm

... I picked up this li'l beauty off CL last Summer .. pretty rough shape, but it's a 4X4, has a 2" hitch and a lift kit on it .. I'll strip it down next Spring, paint the whole thing in undercoating, replace the bald tires, install a winch and put it to work .. gonna call him ... Sal .. :D

TruGrit

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Your driver is adorable!
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads