[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Mother Earth News Fairs

Mother Earth News Fairs

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Mother Earth News Fairs

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 pm

I remember the rain shower, Guy. Charlotte and I wound up inside, listening to a wild foods lecture, then buying books.

I have asked the universe for sunny skies and temperate weather this year. Hopefully the message will get through. :D

I just went looking for the schedule, so I can pre-plan some of the things I want to see and do this year. It is suitable for printing, in case anyone else is interested in having foreknowledge.
Lollykoko

Postby Myrth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:39 pm

I would love to make it to one of these fairs. It sounds fabulous.
Myrth

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:03 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Falling Water is fabulous!

Well, except for the feeling of claustrophobia I had from the low ceilings, that is. I have spent most of my life in 1800's homes with 10 foot walls.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 am

I went to the Mother Earth News Fair this Sat and Sun. Our Electric Car Club had an event there and made several presentations. We had 15 Electric Cars there including a Tesla Model S, Chev Volt, Mitsubishi, Jet Industries Jet, Toyota Rav 4, and several Conversion units. It was the 1st major event that our club has held and I would say it was a Great success. I was able to attend several of the talks this year. I went to hear Ed Bigly Jr speak Sat. It pours down the rain, the tent was pretty full but I got in and started to walk from the front to the rear looking for 1 vacant seat, 3/4 of the way back I saw an opening and ask if it was taken, when the guy said no I started to get ready to sit when I heard someone call my name. I looked up and Lolly was sitting 2 seats over. I went and said Hello and the couple next to her offered to move over so we could sit together and talk before things got stared. It was good to see her again and we had a nice chit chat about her farm and the progress she is making toward building her shed. She has had trouble getting her helpers lined up this year, but I an sure she will Get R Done soon. Eds talk was very good, he talked about the 1st Earth Day, what he was doing at the time, and how he had no money back then. He did not go into debt, he made little changes that saved him money. He bought light bulbs, he recycled, he started to take public transportation. With that money he made more changes. Now he has a solar pack that powers his house, he cooks on a solar oven, he drives an electric car. He talks the talk and walks the walk, Very enlightening and motivational.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 am

The M.E.N. Fair was wonderful! Except for the rainstorm on Saturday, of course. And I could have done without being stuck in a forest management lecture that was heavy on chemical solutions, while the rainstorm was going on. Instead, I could have been at the bookstore, buying reference materials!

Every day there were 14 stages in use all day long, carrying lectures as varied as the people that were there. The day was split into six lecture periods, with a half hour to get from place to place, between. Most of the time there weren't enough chairs to accommodate those who were interested in a subject. I managed to fit in several sessions of herbal lore, making bacon, renewable energy (making it pay off by selling it back to the grid), the forest talk, and of course the Begley speech where Guy and I were able to catch up a little.

I picked up a tool designed for harvesting walnuts, easily without bending. I won't make it to the farm for a few days yet, but I'm ready to try this out. It is a wire ball that looks rather like it should have BINGO numbers floating around inside. The ball is mounted to a stick, and is used like like a toddlers "pop-corn popper" push toy. The walnuts (or whatever) slips inside the wire ball, then are held inside. There is a separate piece that fastens to the side of a bucket, which opens the wires so the captured items can fall into the container. We predict that any child who comes to the farm will want to harvest nuts for me.

Next year there will be 4 locations for the M.E.N. Fair. They are adding NC in April, then programs in WA, PA, and KS. If you can arrange to be in the neighborhood, it is worth your time.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Sounds like a great time you two. Thanks for the reviews, Lolly your walnut grabber sounds cool!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:34 pm

I looked at those Lolly. They had smaller ones for hazelnuts too. Since my trees are a few years away from producing I decided to wait. :lol: I did buy a plastic bucket with a bread hook and a crank that is supposed to make bread in 15 minutes with out kneading. That sounded too good to be true, but I bought it anyway, it was worth the chance. ;) I did get to hear Joel Salatin speak, he is such a wonderful speaker. I also attended a talk on Forest Gardens, Freedom Farms [ They have a Reality TV show now ] , and I tried to listen to a talk on chickens but was chased away by the rain Saturday. I also participated in a panel discussion about electric cars and sat through a talk about the History of electric cars as well. The 1st auto race in this country was Won be an electric car. :D and at one point there were more electric cars on the road than gas cars. Just in case any one wanted to know. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Just got back from the fair in Lawrence and I have to say it won't be the last time either. What was more surprising was the kids enjoyed even more than I did. I had had visions of dragging them all over with them asking every five minutes when they could go back to the hotel to swim in the pool. But no, they went their own way with mom while I had all the lectures mapped out. We met back up at lunchtime and walked downtown to eat. While we were sat in the restaurant waiting for our food, Lanie was looking ojt of the window, people watching. All of a sudden she starts getting excited. She points down the street and there is an anti-Monsanto parade coming up the sidewalk. She was all ready to run out and join them. It's times like that makes a father proud. :)
One of the lectures I listened to in the afternoon was by the guy from Earthineer on DIY solar energy. I've been studying this a lot lately and I picked up some great tips. One of the things they have been working on is to replace batteries with super capacitors. These apparently last a lifetime compare with the deepcells, but it's still in it's infancy.
My wife had her photo op with Ed Bagley Jr, and then systematically worked her way around every booth in the park. It was a great day, and I wished we could have done the second day but we had to get back home to be ready for work tomorrow. Next year we are going to take a personal day on the Monday so we can stay up there Sunday night.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby DevilsBrew » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:18 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout