NWPCC and fall harvest season

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

NWPCC and fall harvest season

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Well, I was away for the weekend at the Northwest Permaculture Convergence which took place only a short ways away from my home. I had an amazing weekend and am renewed with inspiration! The people I met were some of the most inspiring and interesting folks I've had the pleasure of hanging out with in a long, long time. If anyone here has an opportunity to go to one of these I highly recommend it. I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful connection I made with so many folks. Hanging out with like minded people was a real eye opener for me, and I am seriously renewed and inspired.

I'm going to the East Coast for a stove project in a week, and will be gone for about 10 days, so you guys will have to hold down the fort while I'm gone. I'll be checking in regularly hopefully, but I apologize in advance if the spammers get ahead of me a bit while I'm traveling.

George, the Mangalitsas are here! I'm going to try to get a pic up before I leave. While I was away my friend had the slaughter truck out here and I've now got a bull and 6 lambs at the butcher being processed. I've still got to get the tomatoes and peppers put up before I go, and the wood into the shed before it rains this weekend. Busy harvest season here!
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: NWPCC and fall harvest season

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 pm

I saw the information about that event Matt and was wondering if you were planning on going. I am glad that you had the opertunity. I have heard nothing but good things from those events. I would like to hear more about the different classes you were able to attend and the things you learned. I am sure there were many very interesting people that you got to speak with and learn from. Pass out those pearls of wisdon that you have gathered so that we can all share the knowledge. :) .
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Guy, I didn't get to attend any of the workshops or classes as I was there as a skill share presenter, presenting my outdoor half barrel system. I only met the folks who came to my area, but as a whole the people I met were amazing, highly intelligent, conscious folks who left a huge impression on me. I met many of the presenters and was blown away, truly, by the depth of knowledge and caring that they as a group embodied. I can't tell you how refreshing it was. I am truly inspired.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Sorry that you couldn't attend the other presentations. Sounds like you are getting to be one of the Nationally recognized people when it comes to Rocket Stove Design, ;) Congrats. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Well Guy, I'm not sure about that, but I'm feeling very fortunate with the opportunities that have been presented to me lately. Thanks very much for the kind words my friend, I appreciate it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 am

Perhaps I missed it as the sounds of coffee percolating have me mightily distracted at this early hour but zactly where and when will you be on the east coast?
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby matt walker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm

George, I'll be in NYC next week, for 10 days or so. Brooklyn to be specific, I think. I've never been East of the Rockies, I'm excited to see the country. I will have a weekend off, and may rent a car and try to get out into the countryside. I'm really looking forward to it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Sounds like you are flying across the country, If you were driving you wouldn't be that far from my place and could have stopped by for a visit. ;) The leaves are about at their peek north of my place, we still have a week or so to get to the peek color here. Renting a car and getting out of the City sounds like a Great idea. You could drive North to New England, or South to Pa and the Poccano Mountains. There are alot of resorts and things in that area. Rt 6 across Northern Pa is one of the most Beautiful drives you will have in Pa, especially at this time of year. I am guessing that the leaves will be past their prim if you head north. Look at a Map and check out what you might like to see. There are alot of Great Places in New England depending on how far you want to drive. You like to ski and you might like to check out some of their ski resorts for future referencce. Don't expect mountains like the Rockies though, :lol: our Mountains are the oldest Mountains in the world and have been worn down to the nub over the eons. :lol: Laurel Mountain just down the road from me was 27,000 ft high when it was young. That is higher than Mt Everest. It now stands 2700 ft above sea level, that is one old Mountain. :)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for the info Guy, I was thinking about heading into PA and cruising around. We'll see. I hear it's gorgeous.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 pm

It is a Beautiful Commonwealth, :) What is known as the Northern Tier [ Area above Rt 80 ] is not heavilty populated and is made up of rolling hills and mountains with alot of State Game Lands, State Forests and one National Forest dotting the area. The Little Grand Cannion of Pa is along Rt 6 near Wellsboro. You will of course want to eat in the wold famous Wellsboro Dinner. :D , There are 2 places to stay over night in Wellsboro, that is a pretty big deal because there are alot of places in the Northern Tier with no Motels. We have the largest herd of Elk east of the Mississippi near Bennizzette Pa in Elk County. My hunting camp is about 20 min from there. If the leaves are still in full color that would be a beautiful drive. Stop at the new Elk Center and watch the film, it is worth the time. You could always drive south to Philly and see the Liberty Bell and Independance Hall, maybe get yourself a real Philly Steak sandwitch. They only ask one question, with or with-out? And you have to know what that means :lol: Cheeze wiz is what they are talking about. ;) There is so much to see here I can't really give you a full list. You will just have to decide for yourself.
pa_friendly_guy

Return to The Hangout