What did you cook up today?

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: What did you cook up today?

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon May 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah! That's awesome! I'm so glad you find it useful. I was thinking about you BBQ-ing often when I posted that, Matt, but I wasn't sure if you had rhubarb out there.

I remember the first time I put it together a lightbulb went off in my head. If you have a lot of rhubarb to use up you can definitely get away without using vinegar at all. I really dig the idea of using the components of foods to extract essential flavors. I make a hot sauce come pepper harvest that is similar by utilizing the sweetness from carrots, garlic and onions to counteract the habanero bite. It has a tremendous habanero flavor without being over the top spicy. And, if you cook often you understand that recipes are just a starting ground for using what you have.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:25 am

Anyone ever try smoking with acorns? I smoked some bacon with acorns today and it is ridiculous. Best batch yet.
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:34 pm

I never tried smoking anything with acorns, but I have gathered up a bunch of acorns [ over 600 ] and have started " Planting " them down in the woods where I do not have any Oak trees growing. By " Planting " I mean throwing them willie nillie as I walk through the woods. My Grandson Kyle, age 3, helped me plant 150 yesterday as we took a walk through the woods. I figure the trees have not lost their leaves yet so that should cover them and give them a chance to grow. I only expect a small percent to make it in the spring, and an even smaller percentage to mature. But I will have oaks in my woods where none grow now. ;) Doing something similar with walnuts. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Right on, Guy. You'll have a good forest for the boy when he gets older. Another axe handle on the way!
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:51 pm

That's awesome Guy, I've been doing the same with my plum pits. Manny, nope, sure have not. Sounds delicious though, I wish I had some acorns.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Does anyone know what to do with Tofu? I acquired a huge box full. A friend suggested that I put it in a container, add some garlic, salt and pepper. Then place the container in the garbage and go make some bacon. ha! I'd really like to use it instead of waste it. I tried adding some to stir fry, but I wasn't excited about it.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:39 pm

You can smoke it and make little smokey chunks. Still tofu, but you can add the carcinogens and make it a little more exciting.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Hot and Sour soup has a lot of Tofu in it. The spices make it taste not so bad. But like Matt said, its still tofu. :lol: :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Try this one for the ladies, Drew:

Slice it into little squares, sprinkle them with sugar and take your torch and carmelize the sugar on top, like a brulee. Then top with sliced strawberries, a little fresh grated black pepper, and drissle with balsamic vinegar.

I like it fried up like scrambled eggs, too, with onions and whatever else you have. Especially with bacon.

I was in Beijing one time and they had this fermented grilled tofu. Not sure how they ferment it and it was definitely an acquired taste, but it might be worth experimenting with. My endless quest to digest anything without having it come back up....
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:24 am

Check this out: [url]
http://mic.com/articles/100308/amazing- ... e_facebook[/url]

I always knew those cats in Minneapolis-St. Paul were cool... Too bad it's so cold up there.
mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout