[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Frankenweber

Frankenweber

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Frankenweber

Postby DevilsBrew » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:09 pm

I am honestly starting to think that I could never own land because it would be turned into an outdoor stove junkyard. I am bored again with cooking and playing around with more ideas. Thought I would share some of the things I come across on this thread.

Pizza Hacker

Another Frankenweber

It has been raining here like crazy. I am going to try this method to smoke food in a crock pot later today. Not a Frankenweber but whatever.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... moker.html
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Re: Frankenweber

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:15 pm

I took the time to read some of the Pizza Hackers blog. He doesn't tell you how to make the Frackenweber because he wants to sell you a kit, but he gives you enough imfo to make your own. ;) He used wood as a fuel and simply makes a riser for the top of the forge from perlite and clay. Very similar to Matts mix for his cast rocket stove. He uses the top of the Webber grill as a mold and casts an isolative top for the unit. A very nice design that seems to work well. I don't think it should be too pricy to make one. It has the advantages of being portable, inexpensive, works well, and its a Black Oven which many people like and seem to feel adds something to the finished produce. My vote is go for it, I think you will enjoy the pizza, and I don't see why you can't bake bread, rolls, what ever you want.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm

I totally get your point about the cast, Guy. And yes, I have already priced out Webers. It would be great to figure out a way to have an all-in-one system (baking, grilling, smoking) by switching out the lids only.

There are different versions of the Frankenweber online. I have also seen a metal strip added to extend the middle and height of the grill. There is so much you can do with this - Even make a DIY version of The Egg. (I should post that on this thread.)
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:07 pm

The Big Green Egg (A version of a tandoor oven)
http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/how-the-egg-works/

Mushy poultry skin sends chills up my spine. I haven't found a way to cook poultry outside that equals the quality of deep frying. This little toy has been suggested to solve the problem.
The Big Easy
http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-tru-infrared.html
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Yes, his one design has a center section made from the pre-cast that the lid fits on. It makes the unit higher and I am guessing easier to get the pizza, or what ever you are baking, in and out through the door. It would work the same way as a metal extender section but it would help to keep the heat inside the oven. If you really want to try one Devil why not try a metal extender section before you go to the work [ and expense ] of casting one. See how that works, and if you like it and feel that a cast section would be better, then try to make a mold and cast one. One advantage to the adding an additional section rather than just cutting an opening in the Webber top would be that you could leave the grill intact and still use it for grilling. In some of the pictures he has fire bricks placed around the inside of the unit to get hot, stay hot, and radiate heat to the pizza. I think it is a Good Design, definitely worth a try.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Guy, I am considering getting a small weber and placing it on top of a brick tower. The brick tower might be a good way to store and control heat.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:06 pm

I was looking at some other posts and found this manufactured pizza grilling unit for sale on Lemans.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-5232-portable ... -oven.aspx

It uses gas instead of wood, easier to control, no welding skills needed, ready to go out of the box. Down side, its pricy, you don't have the satisfaction of building it yourself, it doesn't use wood, but it is an option for some people who don't want to mess with the DIY stuff.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Cool. I haven't ever seen a gas pizza oven. This is sort of the rage - http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-t ... 01480.html

Home Depot had it on clearance for $63 and I was half tempted.

Picked up a small square grill for $13 on clearance at Lowes. I may drill some vents in the bottom to play around with or buy another cheapy down the road.

Off topic, Empyre stoves have been occupying my thoughts. The stoves may be my next tin can adventure.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Return to The Hangout