What's on your mind?

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:38 pm

I have 6000 bricks that I need to clean. Many of them are pretty good because the building was so old that the mortar just fell off them as powder. The fellow that delivered them said his Father told him to screen the mortar and spread it around his cabbage. He planted 150 plants that year in an open field with a lot of rabbits in the area. He harvested 149 cabbages that year, nothing touched them. The old mortar dust kept everything away. I too would worry about Lead paint in a building that old Lolly. Plaster or plaster board can be used as a soil amendment if new but in a building that old you know it would have lead paint. I think you should stay away.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Lolly, great news! Congrats, and be careful.

Silver, well, uh, *zip*. Hang in there, we all go through it. You are real close now.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:02 am

Third night in the RV... The dogs seem to be enjoying themselves. I think just something new and novel. Things just went wrong one after the other... including my pup chewing my brand new vacuum cord in half the night before I was supposed to be out of the house and still needed to vacuum and shampoo the carpets. No time to sit and cry (or beat her) so I borrowed a friend's vacuum and got it done. Landlord said the place looked better when I left than when I moved in. She agreed to let me use my old parking spot at night too, which is awesome. She basically told me I need to be gone by summer/fall. No argument there! Got my security deposit back in full, then by a stroke of luck managed to get my RV inspected and plates without fixing it, and without paying a penny. Gotta love small towns! Changed my address officially to my mom's address, got insurance for Flash, blablabla... suffice to say, I'm doing it, even if the road there is some kind of test... or just divine tricksters having a good time. So go ahead and say "I told you so"... :-) until my next shitty day, anyway... when I will poke you with a stick! ;)
SilverFlame819

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun May 04, 2014 11:21 pm

I am glad that the Light at the end of the tunnel was not a train. :lol: Good to hear that things are starting to go your way, you will be on your way to the west coast in no time. Just keep moving in the right direction. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Sun May 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Glad to hear that the tide seems to be turning for you, Silver. The road ahead should be exciting, no matter where you are headed.
Lollykoko

Postby SilverFlame819 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks, guys. I've got to take the RV in to have a few things addressed, but I'm thinking good thoughts. I suppose that's my only option. No real use stressing, right? :-)
SilverFlame819

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Why not drive it to where you're going and have it checked out when you get there or along the way?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby SilverFlame819 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Because right now, where I'm going is here. :-) not leaving the state until summer or fall.
SilverFlame819

Postby matt walker » Fri May 09, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm pretty stoked to hear about you moving into that thing. Great job!

On my mind is how much stuff I've bitten off for this spring and trying to keep up with it all. I'm gonna wear myself out at this rate! Still, spring is here and it's time to get moving on all the plans and dreams of the winter, so dang it, I'm just gonna wear myself out. I realize I got a bit sidetracked with the stove stuff and am just now getting my head back into the bigger picture I see for my place, which has been really rewarding. Lots of stuff happening that I've been working towards for a long time now, and it feels awesome, even if it's too much for one dude. I am really needing to catch up on photos and updates, and am feeling a bit guilty about how quiet I've been while I've been plugging away here. That said, I am super excited to show you guys how it's all coming along. Soon, soon.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby SilverFlame819 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Dude, as long as we get pix of your projects, we're happy. :-) I've gotta live vicariously through someone at this point! :-) I've got an opportunity to go work up at a lake resort (a very tiny, off grid kind of private one) for the spring/summer, but I think being here in the city will be better for training my spazzy puppy who is just a fearful little crackhead... I also think I could find a better paying job than what they're offering... although what they're offering is more than what I currently make. It's a tough call. I would love to spend the summer living out in the forest and swimming at the lake, and it is so secluded and serene up there... but I'm trying to keep my end goal in mind, , which is to save up as much as possible, to land on the coast by fall at the latest.

The RV is a learning curve, for sure. I just hope she can keep on keepin' on until I get a call back from one of the mechanics I was recommended. The dogs are digging it. I'm hoping it will be the means to an end that I'm hoping for. I'm already super appreciating not paying rent and electricity and all that crap! :-) It's been storming every day since I moved into the RV, and I haven't gotten the propane inspected yet, so I'm not using the heater and it's cold as hell... but I've got blankets. And I know better than to complain about the cold here, because as soon as it's gone, you're roasting! :-) Spending most of my days at the park right now. It's nice to have it all to myself when the weather is bad. :-)
SilverFlame819

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout