[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - What's on your mind?

What's on your mind?

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 am

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun May 18, 2014 11:27 pm

I didn't have time to post a comment about that above link when I posted it. I thought the article/video was interesting. For many of us on this site doing our thing, this lady in the article is doing it, too, but then taking it to the next level. Pretty inspiring.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Mon May 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Man, what an inspiration. I thought I had a lot going on here for one person, she makes me look lazy! Great article.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat May 24, 2014 4:27 pm

I am a member of our local Rotary Club, we put up the American Flags on several holidays. Today was my turn, with two of the other members. We put up about 150 flags on Main St Mt Pleasant as well as a local cemetery. A member welded up a Flaggin Wagon for us a few years ago. The flags all have their separate holders and there is a place to stand on the back, [ sort of like a chariot ] it makes the job much easier. Took us about an hour and a half to get them all done. It makes the town look nice for the Holiday weekend, I consider it my civil duty, but I am glad it is done. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Sun May 25, 2014 5:01 pm

It warms my heart when I read posts like Manny's and Guys. First there is a lady that is determined to make a change in her community and make people's lives not only healthier but wholesome in a way that brings them altogether.

Then Guy's post about him doing his civic duty and putting out all those flags. Well done my friend. We have a flag flying out front of our house and if I drive down the hill into town there are properties with either a big flag flying or lots of small ones lining the front of their yards. The square is decked out in flags and red, white and blue bunting. We had ceremonies and music there all day yesterday. Ours is like Guy's, a community town where neighbors are just a family extension. It was one of the reasons we moved here three years ago. The town we moved from was kind of dead as far as community spirit goes.

This has been my itch for a few years now that all this doomsday prediction stuff is just a way for media to make money, and people are falling for it. Sure we are running out of oil and the climate is changing. Sure it's going to affect the way we live in a big way. But if we have communities and people who work together to solve problems and actually make life better for everyone, then the extreme preppers and survivalists can go move to their underground bunkers and wait it out while the rest of us will be getting on with life, sharing the knowledge and bounty with our neighbors. Just like this forum does. ;)
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 pm

You make some good points, Graham. Two decades ago I did everything I could to get away from where I live and at some point decided that making a difference and engaging in my community was the only way things would get any better. Working with people to make the difference that we want to see in the world beats the hell out of running away from our problems. And sometimes we learn that our problems might not even exist, we learn a better way of doing things, or see things from a different angle from being part of the community. And like you say, this site is no exception! ;)
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Tue May 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Anyone have a clue what sort of wild flower this one might be? I'm not having any luck trying to pick and chose from pictures or descriptions. I have been calling it Comfrey, but the pictures I can find all show a bell shaped flower, not this wide open, flat faced, four petal beauty. Will the petals close up in a week and become more bell-like? The lance shaped leaves are also part of the same type plant. The flowers are beautiful and I have plenty of them. If only I knew what it was so I could make good use of some of it ... :?:
Lollykoko

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Lolly, it's hard to tell from the picture, but from what I can see it looks like what I would call Dame's Violet or Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis). It's in the mustard family but it's not listed in any of my medicinal or edible plant books. Experiment in small doses. ;)
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Tue May 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks, Manny. I will see what I can find out with that name.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:10 pm

On my mind is getting my work project behind me so I can show you guys what I'm up to. I have a new outdoor cooker and two nights ago I returned home from work just beat. Lit one fire, and baked bread, made rice, seared a steak, and steamed up some Japanese radishes and greens. All on the same cooker, in under two hours. I'm really excited about it, but I need another day or two on it before I show it to you guys, I want to make sure it all works. I'm also thinking about you all and your gardens and spring projects. I can barely get myself to come inside for a few minutes these days, hopefully you guys are all doing great and doing the same, outside all day enjoying the season.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout