[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - I buiilt a quadcopter drone & more GoPro video

I buiilt a quadcopter drone & more GoPro video

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

I buiilt a quadcopter drone & more GoPro video

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 am

I ordered up some mounts, motors, props, controllers, etc and built a home brew quad.

here's the first lift:

...and here's a couple maiden flights with GoPro attached:
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: I buiilt a quadcopter drone & more GoPro video

Postby GrahamB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 am

I have been toying with the idea of one of these for a while now. I do most of the video at school and always wondered if I could fly one of these in the gym to shoot the audience, or out on the field when we have our Ag Day. After watching your video and seeing how high you got it, I have to get me one now. Oh well, there goes some of my tax refund. :)
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 pm

It's really a bunch of fun. I couldn't swallow the cost of a pre-built machine, so I built my own for a fraction of the cost of a commercial unit. I'd encourage you to do the same. I used something called a "Naza lite" controller, but there are lower cost (and maybe better) homebrew alternatives.
The controllers make these things super stable. I haven't tried it (yet), but in theory I should be able to rev up the motors and just toss the thing into the air. It should auto-level.

The quad also incorporates GPS. Should I lose signal, I've instructed the copter to climb or decent to 100 feer and fly itself back to the launch site.

I used slow fly props, so it's not very responsive. I'd encourage you to do the same if you're just starting out.
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Holy cow, that is just awesome. I don't need another hobby, I don't need another hobby, I don't need another hobby, I don't need another hobby,...I'm just going to keep repeating that. And maybe ask you for a parts list and how much...Doh!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 pm

Well Matt, you could always keep Bees. :lol: At least that hobby would pollinate your garden and provide you with some honey. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:03 am

Matt,

I'd never supply a list and try to corrupt you.

Well, on the other hand, I'd hate to see you spend > $1200 on a commercial unit.

QTY PART EA. EXT
4 hexTronik DT750 Brushless Outrunner 750kv 12.21 48.84
1 Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware) 69.97 69.97
1 Slow Fly Electric Prop 11x4.7SF RH Rotation (4 pc) (US Warehouse) 3.92 3.92
1 Slow Fly Electric Prop 11X4.7SF (4 pc) (US Warehouse) 3.98 3.98
4 Propeller Adapter (Colet Type) 4MM (USA Warehouse) 1.42 5.68
1 3.5mm 3 wire Bullet-connector for motor (5pairs/bag) (USA warehouse) 5.07 5.07
1 Turnigy 3-in-1 Heli 5A UBEC & Low Voltage Alarm (3~6S) (USA Warehouse) 14.24 14.24
4 TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller (USA Warehouse) 13.58 54.32
1 Hobbyking X666 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 666mm (USA Warehouse) 19.60 19.6
1 ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 30C (USA Warehouse) 31.51 31.51
1 Hobbyking Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB) (USA) 2.20 2.2
2 PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors 10 PAIRS (20PC) (USA Warehouse) 1.97 3.94
1 Turnigy 9X LCD Backlight Kit - Green (DIY) (USA Warehouse) 5.15 5.15
1 HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (10pcs/set) (US Warehouse) 4.22 4.22
1 naza lite w/gps 180.00 180

Total - $452.83 It's not cheap.

Again, you can prolly find a cheaper controller than the naza lite unit. the backlight kit was an upgrade to the turnigy remote controller which I recommend, but it's not needed. Neither is the low voltage alarm. So, you can save about $20 if you don't opt for those.
DrewInToledo

Postby GrahamB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 am

While stuck at home recently, because of all the snow days, I started browsing the tedtalks. This one blew me away.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby matt walker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:27 am

Awesome stuff. Drew, thank you so much for taking the time to do that.

Guy, I might just take up that hobby as well.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 am

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:25 pm

I learned how to tie my shoes from a Ted video. Serious! Around age 43 and i wasnt looping them correctly, they kept coming untied. Funny thing.
DrewInToledo

Next

Return to The Hangout