Vacation

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Vacation

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm considering the following trip, and I know some of your are near the route: https://roadtrippers.com/trips/2014-vac ... 123200236d

The plan is to visit mammoth caves in Ky, head down to Cade's cove area, pigeon forge, and perhaps do some horseback riding, etc., and then up to Blackwater Falls in WV via part of the Blue ridge scenic route.

I'm looking for suggestions along this loop. Does anyone have any "you can't miss this" suggestions along this path?
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Vacation

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 pm

You are going right past the Jim Bean Distillery, you may want to stop by for the tour and have a sample or two. ;) Gas is cheaper in WVa than it is here in Pa, there is an exit on I79 just before Morgantown that has a pretty cheap place to fill up, it called Goshen I believe. You are pretty close to Frank Lloyd Wrights Falling Water house, maybe 45 min to an hour out of your way, its pretty spectacular, as is Ohio Pyle State park on the Yough River, best white water in the east if you care to go white water rafting there are many tours there. After that stop at my place for a bite to eat and I will give you the 50 cent tour. :D .
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Wow Guy! Thanks for all that information. I didn't expect a gasoline savings opportunity, but I'll take it!
You've provided a lot of neat stuff. Your area will be at the end of my trip so depending on how tired we are I may or may not be able to swing around to your place... I'll have my teenage daughter with me whose already crabby about the idea of being pent up. But, I would absolutely love to meet you and see your rocket stove burn a stick!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:56 pm

Oh wow, I actually did a lot of the same route on my trip in November. My favorite section of the whole road trip was right near the caves you are visiting. I dropped off of 81 near Bristol, Tenn and meandered south on 26 until I turned southwest on 352/212 there and wound my way through the hills back to 40 then back to to Knoxville. That hill country was just gorgeous, especially right outside Newport there. If you have time to take the back roads, I say explore that area a bit. I could have stopped and stayed, I liked it that much.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I understand the time concerns, but if you have time I am about 45 min from Rt 79 and its intersection with Rt 70 in Washington Pa. Straight shot up Rt 70 to New Stanton, [ all 4 lane ] then some back roads to my place. You both are more than welcome to stop and say Hello. :D

PS. when you want to continue on you just get back on the Pike at New Stanton and you are back on your trip track headed toward Ohio.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to The Hangout