[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Window and oven door in a Rocket Mass Heater

Window and oven door in a Rocket Mass Heater

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Window and oven door in a Rocket Mass Heater

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Well, I made a little video to talk about how the door affects draft and showing the stove in use. I was trying to explain this to someone, and thought that it would be easier to just show it in a video.

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Window and oven door in a Rocket Mass Heater

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Nice Video Matt. It does give a better idea of how every thing works on the stove. I was surprised that it would smoke when you opened the door, until I thought about it of a sec. Makes sense then you think of the dynamics of what is happening with the flow and how things inter act. I do like the door on your stove, and the fact that it can work as a small oven is a great added feature. Thanks for the update.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby CJ in VT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Matt that video was awesome! My husband was looking over my shoulder as I was on the Permies forum. We watched that rocket video that's been at the top of the screen for a few days. It was disappointing because there was no fire going!!!

So here are a few questions:
Did you base your design on something you read? A book?
How much did it cost?
The exhaust is going out the top? Yes?
CJ in VT

Postby matt walker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 am

Thanks CJ!

I have Ianto Evan's book titled "Rocket Mass Heaters, super efficient wood stoves you can build." I wanted a window, and so sorta stumbled my way into this window/door thing. You can see the evolution on my build thread.

It cost me around $200 or so, mostly in the ducting and a bit on insulation, fireclay, and odds and ends.

The exhaust runs through the benches on either side and then does go out my existing masonry chimney.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Myrth » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:07 pm

I hope it is OK to resurrect an old thread with a new post, but I just wanted to say that the information on rocket mass stoves got me to subscribe to this forum.

I have been wanting to build a masonry wood stove for years, but I don't have sufficient masonry skills to build one myself nor the funds to hire someone to build one. This looks like something I could actually manage.

Did your home owners insurance give you any grief about installing it in your house?
Myrth

Postby matt walker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks Myrth, that's nice to hear. As for insurance, so far, so good.
matt walker
Site Admin

Return to Heating and Cooling