[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - A new outdoor Rocket system

A new outdoor Rocket system

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: A new outdoor Rocket system

Postby matt walker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 pm

I thought I'd update this thread with a few pictures of my new firebox and finish which I did this weekend. I also built a small oven a month or so ago on the small firebox, which I am loving. It will cook a 12" pizza in about 2 minutes, and I can run it lower and bake bread or cook fish or whatever in there. I'm loving it, so I thought I'd share that here as well.

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:30 am

Awesome! That just shouts two words... PARTY TIME! Matt, I guess the cat went for a pair of sunglasses in that last photo. :D
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 am

I like the decoration of the cobb oven Matt. I still have not decided on building one. Torn between the " Black " oven and a more efficient " White " variety. Yours seems pretty efficient but the size is fairly small. I think I may like a slightly larger one.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Thanks you two. Guy, the oven is pretty small. About 14" at the opening, 17" inside diameter for the dome. It's perfect for a loaf of bread, a 12" pizza on a 13" stone, or pretty much any regular oven meal. It is too small for large batches of things for sure. My thought was that a small oven I can get up to temp in about 10 minutes and be cooking, so I'll use it more than if it took a lot of wood or time to fire. It has the adjustable baffle underneath the diffuser so I can start cooking right when it comes up to temp. With the baffle closed and fire raging I can hold as low as 350° and it definitely can get HOT. I maxed out the 700° thermometer with ease.

I'm thrilled with the firepit/bbq stove. It is so nice to sit around that big window, and so far so good on the skin of tile. I'm excited about the finishing possibilities this method indicates. We'll see how it holds up over the summer.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Myrth » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:28 am

That is an AWESOME setup. I am sure you will enjoy throwing parties with such a lovely and inviting setting. I think the oven is a perfect size for pizzas and other party fare. I am jealous!!! I want one! :) Beautiful job!
Myrth

Postby matt walker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks Myrth, pizza tonight!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Alright gang, check it out. I found an old couch set with a ton of foam that I was able to modify with some female help. (I can't do colors/fabric at all!) I'm so, so, so, so, stoked!

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 pm

What a great patio setting. That is a Great place to relax at night and enjoy the fire. I agree that you will be using this area a lot. Enjoy what you have accomplished Matt.

PS. I have decided on what type of oven to build. I will be posting picture soon. It is almost finished now. I will wait until I have it ready to show off before I talk about how well it works, or show how Beautiful it turned out. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Wow, Matt! That thing is dope! I really like the stone work on it. And the stone work on the ground is really cool, too! I've tried doing that around my place but never had the time to properly set them, so they all wobble and grow grass in between them. Your place is looking like heaven.

Going through my RMH build, I'm becoming suspicious that when it's finished I'll be seriously addicted to these things and not know what to do with myself without working on it. Even with a long list of projects at my place I think I know how you decided to build this outdoor stove! ;)

I was looking at your "member's steads" post too. Damn I'm jealous of that greenhouse! That might be a "next" on my list.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling