Rocket Heated Seating for NYC Restaurant

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Rocket Heated Seating for NYC Restaurant

Postby matt walker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, it took me a bit to get myself back into gear here at home after my trip to NYC, but I've got the photos up now and wanted to share.

I built a heated seating area for a restaurant/bar in NYC. I used a standard heavy brick firebox for durability and my half barrel method for the mass. The idea was to have quick response in the bench so the staff could fire it early in the day before they opened to heat it up, and then fire it again later in the evening for the late night crowd. We hid the works behind a metal enclosure and the exhaust will be hidden in an insulated stack box as well. It was a LONG system, 11 half barrels and a bit more for a system that was just over 30' long. I buried the first barrels about 5" deep and at the end of the system it was only about 2" deep. Then the whole thing was covered in slate for a nice finish. It worked well, although I left before it was totally cured and running at it's best.

I was reminded again of how important it is to use insulated materials for the whole firebox. I know that there are plans for sale out there and people recommending heavy brick builds for durability, but I feel that this is a very poor way to build a stove. I did it here so I could walk away and they would have a very durable stove, but it comes at the expense of performance, and in no small way in my opinion. The heavy bricks lead to heavy ash/coal build up which can choke the stove, and the heat in the feed tube is extrememly detrimental to performance. It works against the natural draft of the stove and greatly encourages the wood to burn up high which causes smoke back. I've built quite a few stoves now using both insulated feed tubes/burn tunnels and heavy brick versions, and every time I am reminded how poor the heavy bricks are for these stoves. I wanted to put that here because in reading around the 'net it seems folks are using heavy bricks often and wondering why their stoves don't run as they expect. I think that's a major cause.

Anyway, here it is.....

More pics here:

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/ ... e%20Build/
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Rocket Heated Seating for NYC Restaurant

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Looks like a Great installation Matt. It should extend their out door season by quite a bit. I am sure that the City Folks will LOVE the idea that the bench is heated by wood. I am sure they do not have many things in the City that are wood powered, ;) It will make a big splash and be very trendy I bet. You maybe called back to the city to make more now that you have started to make a name for yourself. Make sure you charge them the City Price when you have to go that far, lol, :lol: We county folks know better and would never pay a high price for something we could make ourselves out of local dirt and straw, :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby boo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 am

Nice work Matt. I bet there are lots of toasty warm "buns" in that establishment right now.
boo

Postby GrahamB » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:08 am

That looks awesome Matt! Just remember us poor country folk when you're a big RMH tycoon. :D
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby matt walker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks everybody! Graham, I promise to work you all into any acceptance speeches I might need to make. :)
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Of course I didn't come back to reply after checking out the extra photos on Photobucket!!

Where in NYC is this, Matt? I have some internet friends who might want to visit.
Lollykoko

Postby dave brenneman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Looks good, Matt! I'll make sure to check it out next time I'm there...
dave brenneman

Return to Heating and Cooling