[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Rocket Mass Heater Cast Core Plans

Rocket Mass Heater Cast Core Plans

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket Mass Heater Cast Core Plans

Postby matt walker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 pm

I use the little 17 gallon drums. They are 14" diameter, and I like to just cut the bottom so the inner pipe just fits. That way you have a "canister" for the riser and can pick it up and move it around.

Here's the video link again, I had to watch a bit of it to remember how big the drums are!

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Ha, I love how out of round that inner pipe is. Geez I'm a slob.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:36 am

Oops, sorry to make you repost that. I was in the big box store and I got thinking I didn't have anything for the outside of the riser and then I got thinking I should buy a 16" sono-tube, but that would burn away and not really work unless I used a lot of fire cement. Brain fart...
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby jefe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:39 am

Was curious if anyone tried using more forms to build the manifold like Jesse does here:
http://www.permies.com/t/30289/rocket-s ... Experiment

and also, has anyone used sodium silicate / waterglass like DavidEaks does here:
http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread/12 ... llTo=12940

in the cast core?

I was thinking about it but not sure if it was worth it for the whole core or just the riser -

thanks for reading,

jefe
jefe

Postby matt walker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:15 am

Hi Jefe, welcome.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to cast the manifold. Uses a lot of material in a space where it's not needed. I think there are better ways to construct that part, and you certainly don't need refractory there, just plain mud will be fine.

My recipe in the video at the beginning of this thread uses the furnace cement to add sodium silicate, and increase the alumina content of the mix. It's an easy way to get those elements into a mix. You can add furnace cement to found clay and it will do the same. That said, David seems to be having a good time playing with mixes and it's been a very cool process to follow. I'm happy with my mix for simple castings, but there are a million ways to do it. If you really want to just get right to a good mix and don't want to play with the different possibilities, bagged castable refractory is an easy way to get there.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby jefe » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:22 am

Matt -
Sweet! That was all I needed - I'm off to follow your mix. I'm trying to get a RMH in portable form into my garage before the temperatures drop too much here in Chicagoland. Pics forthcoming!

Jefe
jefe

Postby jefe » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:54 am

Hey Matt -

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere but -

is there any reason not to cast the riser with wood also? I was thinking about maintaining the 7 square inch center with a "burn-out-able" core because I have A LOT of scrap wood and no access to the jiffy lube barrels and then well, why not cast the whole thing in a square tube?

Just curious.

Thanks -
jefe

Postby Cletus Pew » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:39 am

SHE LIVES!!! With many thanks to Matt..I have my first RMH core completed and in burn mode as we speak. She took right off and blasted away. I had some challenges finding material but now that I have that taken care of..can finish and plan for the next one. This RMH is for a greenhouse..well..two small ones that we threw together. I built a small shed to house the RMH and will exhaust it out the other end through a small cob bench to warm the greenhouse(s). Things I have learned already...after buying 1/2 backer board I realized in Matts video his was 1/4 inch..so I had to ask..i'm kinda into details...Matt was great to explain the J-tube after it is burned away should equal 7 1/4". I cut the top of the J-tube to carry the weight of the insulation mix, but I didnt plan on supporting the inside of the riser tube or feed tube..yea...being held together with hot glue...well..that melts and the inside of the Riser fell down..no biggie..she was dry enough when that happened...just moved that backer board out of the riser and away she went again. If I can figure out how to post pics on this I will update as I go. I did get a bag of FireClay to start along with Perlite and Heat Block Cement...my ratio was a little stronger than Matts. I used a big coffee can and did 7 clay to 7 Perlite to 2 cement. well..one bag of fire clay wasnt enough. Sooo...living in TN..finding really red clay isnt a problem..finished it up with red..red. clay. it ended up taking 20 cans of Clay, 20 cans of Perlite and 7 cans of Cement. So far so good...excited about this like a little kid is for Christmas.
Cletus Pew

Postby matt walker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:06 am

Right on Cletus, glad you are up and burning. For pics, the best way is to upload them to a hosting site like photobucket, then use the img links to link them in your post.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby wfwarner » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:24 am

does anyone any reinforcing steel within the core casting?
wfwarner

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling