[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Rocket Mass Incorporating Water Heating?

Rocket Mass Incorporating Water Heating?

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket Mass Incorporating Water Heating?

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Glad to know that the video was helpful, Manny. I'm hoping to set up a system this spring that will allow me to cook at the campsite and produce hot water for doing the dishes afterwards with at least enough left over to clean my dirty feet, if not get a real bath/shower. Then it will be time to tinker up a system that heats some mass to warm our backsides during hunting trips.
Lollykoko

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 am

A while back I was talking about posting a picture of my coil on the potbelly stove for water heating. I'm not sure if this picture thing works, but here goes:

There's a sensor for a Johnson Controls A419 attached to the hot-out (where the thermometer is) with a metal strap. Again, this system works- not great, but it works. I'm looking forward to getting a better system dialed in.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 am

Manny, what length of copper tubing do you have coiled around your exhaust pipe? Even closely wrapped, there doesn't seem to be enough travel to let the water heat much before it is out of the system.
Lollykoko

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Lolly, I don't remember how much there is for sure. It's been several years since I put it together. I think it's either 30' or 50'. I've given thought to actually putting it in the firebox, but it works the way it is. I agree that the efficiency would improve greatly with a longer run, but as I've said before, it changes the way my stove burns so I've not been too crazy about lengthening it and increasing the wraps. It's just a back-up for solar heating, anyway. One thing I've learned about energy independence is that it all depends on how much you're using. There's a lot of free energy out there but we still have to conserve to make it enough. When the sun's not shining I use this stove heater as a back-up. It doesn't produce much but it's enough to keep the water tank hot and provide a short hot shower for my daughter and I and enough to do dishes once a day. That's about all I use hot water for.

I just found the "member steads" section of this site. How Awesome! I really enjoyed seeing your site and all you've got going on. It's really impressive! I'll have to get my little place up on there soon.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Natasha » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 am

Have you guys seen this video: ?
Natasha

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm

That's a great heater that Geoff shares there. I think it's a very well executed system for warm climate water heating.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:33 pm

I don't know how he gets the copper pipe inside the tank. That seemed problematic to me. You could always cut the tank open and then try to get a water tight weld, but that isn't the easiest thing to do either. The rest of the system seemed to work well, I think I would also install a pop off valve in the water line to your shower just incase it also built up a head of steam. Just my thoughts.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Guy, I think the easy way is to just pass the copper coil through oversized holes above the water line at each end. No need for water tight penetrations, and you could have a large inspection opening cut into the "top" side of the barrel to help feed the coil, then use it for the fill later. That is hard to explain, but it's a fairly primitive, easy to build, system.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 am

OK, the hot water tank that is used just has 2 large holes that the copper is inserted into it from the top and the water for the mass is just up to that level. That works. It doesn't have the nice water inlet and steam out flow pipes that he shows, but it works well in my mind at lest. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I've got the fire bug today. I couldn't find anything here through the search about boilers. Here is a furnace from an old Popular Mechanics. You will have to scroll down to see the diagram. It's almost a rocket stove heating hot water tanks.

EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling