BOOH V

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: BOOH V

Postby Nutcase » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for posting those photos! It would be hard to improve upon that pot, given your overall setup and the design constraints of the materials. I.e., if it's all embedded in cob, that's hard to beat, or even approach. The front blown three sided chute in a shroud is easier for me right now though. You've effectively got a back blown three sided chute, given the way the pot is offset.
Mark
(aka Nutcase)
Nutcase

Re: BOOH V

Postby Nutcase » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:07 pm

So I ran a length of 1" ID steel pipe through the back of the heat riser and along the floor of the burn channel to the base of the fuel inlet area. I did not have great expectations for this setup, given that the pipe was horizontal, small diameter and the end was facing into the main air flow. It performed as expected. It did, however, speed up the burning of coals in the immediate viciinity of the outlet. Shrug.

I actually learned more from the side effects of damaging the setup to put the pipe in—nothing surprising, but useful for getting a hands-on sense of proportion. With about three square inches of air leaks at the bottom and sides of the burn channel-riser connection, the system heated up more or less normally, but the exhaust remained smoky to significantly higher temperatures and I had more smokeback. But it did draw well enough to heat up normally. The smoky exhaust was fixed by plugging the leaks.

The smokeback issue related to a weaker draw was compounded by having lost the three-sided chute in the process of installing the pipe.

Well, I think that's the end for reports on BOOH V. I may use it some more while I learn how to work with this mizzou stuff, though. It's just pleasant to stand outside next to a little fire on a cool evening, minus the smoke. I look forward to having a more stable, weatherproof/sheltered setup that we can do some cooking on.
Mark
(aka Nutcase)
Nutcase

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling