Scavenging

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Scavenging

Postby Nutcase » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm running out of stuff relevant to my current rocket stove projects in my current collection of random junk. In particular, I don't have much sheet metal or ductwork of suitable diameter. So I'm wondering where I'm likely to find something. I've got an old water heater core, and I suspect that there are plumbers out there ready to give water heaters away. Hmmm....I had only been thinking about the cores, but actually the sheath is sheet metal too, isn't it? Could do some interesting things with light sheet metal and the concrete reinforcing mesh I have on hand. I could probably make a decent barrel stand, something that would be adequately air tight — a low bar, in my experience to date — and less of an investment of effort than a half-barrel like the one I made. Tin snips and pop rivets rather than a sawsall.

But anyway, I'm just fishing here.
Mark
(aka Nutcase)
Nutcase

Re: Scavenging

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Does your area have FreeCycle? Offer to pick up non-working items from folks when they replace the old water heater, or washer or refrigeration system. Of course then you have to tear those items down to useable components and scrap out whatever doesn't have use for you. It also depends on what you have in mind how useful someones scrap might be. And in a best case scenario, you put up notices with a phone number and offer to haul it off for a small fee. :)

I've seen video of wind turbines built from bicycles. An old furnace will probably yield a "squirrel cage" and a set of pulleys. A washing machine tub could be used for sorting rock out of soil or sifting compost. An older top load washer has three sides stamped from one piece of sheet metal. It was cold formed under extreme pressure, but you could hammer it into a shape more to your liking. A washing machine tub could be used for sorting rock out of soil or sifting compost. Again, there are probably pulleys and they come in handy for increasing your power in so many ways. An old refrigerator or freezer could be turned into a dehydration cabinet or used as a root cellar.

Scrap and imagination can fill many long hours. :) ;)
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

One of my favorite sources of flue pipe is a local construction contractor's work yard. They have huge piles of old windows, ducting, doors, and all manner of sheet metal. I understand that they are not allowed to resell flue pipe for HVAC use, so I let them know I will be using it as mold material for a masonry project. So, I'd say look in the yellow pages for larger construction firms nearby and do a drive by.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Nutcase » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks, both! LK, we do have Freecycle here, and the idea for something better than I have been using to date for separating gravel from dirt is very directly relevant to another tedious but necessary project. Many useful ideas. Matt, that is of course directly on point for my current efforts.

Perhaps this thread can be useful as an ongoing intellectual Freecycle/scrapyard. I knew that somebody somewhere had written something about how to get used flue. But I didn't have the relevant thread in hand. I also have random little inventions and repurposings that might be helpful or at least interesting, but don't warrant a thread on their own...
Mark
(aka Nutcase)
Nutcase

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm

I agree with Lolly, Freecycle is a GREAT recourse for you. I see all sorts of interesting stuff being given away for Free. Many of the larger metal items are non-working and being given away for scrap to anyone who will haul it away. We are allowed 1 big item per month here locally by our Garbage Hauler, you will often see an old water tank sitting out by the curb, as well as other metal tanks and metal appliances. Having a veh big enough to haul the stuff away is the only real problem for many people. Contractors can be a good source for you as well, but many of them save the metal junk up until they have a load to sell to the Junk Yard. You might just hit them on a good day when they are just too busy to mess with their junk and let you have it for getting it out of there and cleaning up the place. Good Luck with your search.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Heating and Cooling