Quandry with the NH RMH

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Quandry with the NH RMH

Postby rjdudley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:33 am

So I need some input from Matt and Manny on this one. While I've been working with 8" pipe configurations, I have somehow just realized that I will only have about 20 feet of total exhaust pipe. Ianto says 8" requires 30 feet.
So I'm thinking about recasting the chamber using the 6" system, similar to Manny's system.
I mean I literally only have 7 feet from the burn chamber, and that would have to include any 90˚ turns, and then 7 feet back and then about 5 foot of exit pipe.
Not sure what I was thinking. I guess I was just caught up their literature which references 8" builds.
So, what do you guys think? Recast with the 6" burn chamber? If so how are Matts original layout numbers altered?
Or stick with 8" and suffer a high exit temp? I hate to lose all the heat out the wall, boohoo.
Signed,
Stumped in NH
PS don't even get me started on how jealous I am of Guys Pizza build. That thing is da bomb and is now on my todo list!
Ray
rjdudley

Re: Quandry with the NH RMH

Postby matt walker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Well Ray, I think you are going to be lacking mass no matter the system size. I would stick with what you have there. 8" systems work very well, and yours will be virtually guaranteed to run smoothly. You will be able to have short, hot fires, or just load a stick or two at a time if that's what the situation calls for. You will have a warm chimney with either, and the 8" will give you a lot more flexibility in terms of fuel and output. If you scale down the fuel load to what would fit in a six inch system you will have basically the same result as running a smaller system.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Quandry with the NH RMH

Postby rjdudley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Perfect. Thanks Matt, as always. I wasn't looking forward to the cost of recasting! I like the burn chamber I currently have and have been excited to use it. So that's what I'm a gonna do! Stick with the 8".
Ray
rjdudley

Return to Heating and Cooling