Updated NH RMH build w/PICS!!!

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Updated NH RMH build w/PICS!!!

Postby rjdudley » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Well, we had a great day yesterday!
That sucker burned just like it was made for it. I had done a small burn earlier in the morning just using some newspaper because, you know, I was sure it was going to make me look bad (ala Manny) and I needed time to gather all my excuses, just in case.
Well, the newspaper burn went off without a hitch. Good draw, nice "rockety" sound. So I added just a couple of sticks and voila! Heat.
It was a nice cool morning, around 60˚ outside, and the sound and heat were a nice reminder of the fall weather coming.
The afternoon came and the 14 folks on the tour were ready to see the beast in action.
Eyes WIDE open, jaws dropping and their minds reeling as they looked at what was sitting in my living room we lit her up.
Perfect. Excellent draw, nice burn, wood crackling, rocket roaring and these folks were impressed.
My son went out to the vent and sure enough: no smoke, just steam and mild heat. Granted it wasn't blasting at full throttle, but, it was enough to make us relax about the fact that this thing really does work.
Matt, Manny, et. al, I don't think this would have ever happened without all of the info, photos, back & forth, videos, etc.
It's intimidating in it's early stages. But, by God we did it!
We'll be adding the final cob over the next few weeks and continuing to do small burns to help it cure, but, our anxiety is put to rest :lol:
A couple of things:
there was a small amount of smoke once or twice coming from the 90˚ elbows. Not at the connections, but, at their swivel points. Any concerns? I never thought about taping them for some reason and it would be a real pain to do it now.
The other thing was that later at night we had some sort of residual odor. I'm guessing from this curing or from the galvanized pipe or, now that I think about it, perhaps from the refractory cement curing with the heat.
Just thought folks might want to know.
Great day. Many, many thanks again. When we finish we'll put up more photos. And, were even considering a smaller unit, perhaps just a rocket stove, for our springtime maple syruping. We're on a roll!
Ray
rjdudley

Postby matt walker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Yeeee Haww! Right on Ray!! I have been eagerly awaiting your report, I'm so glad to hear it went so well. Congrats man, I can feel your relief and excitement from here.

As for little leaks, don't sweat it. Once the mass is in and the whole thing is warm, any gaps or leaks will be trying to pull air in rather than out, not to mention cob is a great sealer. There will be lots of smells, cob drying is a big one that will go on for a month or so after you are burning regularly. It has a particular smell when drying. All the other materials are going to do the same until you drive the moisture out of them, the refractory, the bricks, the durarock, all of it. As you burn more they will start going away over the first few weeks, and the exhaust will only get cleaner and cleaner as well over the next while. It takes quite a bit of time to dry it all out, just wait till December, your exhaust will be crystal clear. Good job man, and thanks for the updates. You totally made my day.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby rjdudley » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Matt, one other thing. I currently just have the exhaust pipe stabbed through the wall with a tee on it. Knowing we weren't going to burn it hot I wasn't worried about the wall clearances, but, do you think I need a double wall thimble?
rjdudley

Postby matt walker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:40 pm

I think for your peace of mind you are going to want to make sure there are no combustibles touching that pipe, and give it some clearance as well. A double wall thimble is probably the most practical solution. If you don't want to spend the money and are comfortable with it, in the light straw/clay construction dwelling I built one in, we framed in a little 16" square, passed the pipe through the middle, and packed all around it with cob/perlite mix. It works well, but might be a little rougher than you are looking for. But yeah, that's a long way of saying I would certainly get the pipe away from any wood. Even at the end of that run, once everything is warm that pipe will be well above 200°F when you have been burning for a while.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 am

That's great news, Ray! I'm glad you're up and going! It's great that you've got some cooler nights so you can e testing things out now. I hope I'm right there with you soon. Congratulations!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Prescott » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Most amazing Ray, total inspiration!

I am scheming up a cast scenario for a 6" core and somewhat mad scientist like contemplating my own refractory mixture.

Are you stoked with your pure cast? It looks great, and that fire cement top looks like it might have done the trick for you.

My bench is going to be smaller and include a water heating element, but I love the magnitude of yours! I'm seriously jealous of your access to dug clay!

I'll create a thread soon for feedback etc.

Keep up the great work, fall is upon is here in New England! ~p
Prescott

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Not to interrupt here, but Ray, would you mind posting the rest of your build pics here? I can do it if you don't want to, but it would be great to see your progress right here in one thread.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby rjdudley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 pm

It would be my pleasure! And let's put some of them here now.

More to come shortly!
Raynman
rjdudley

Postby Prescott » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 am

Hey Ray, are your ears burning?

Matt and I are rapping about castables and would love it if you weighed in when you can!

What thickness did you go for, walls etc.?

What density was your product? Am I remembering that you used kastolite?

How's it holding up? What's the core feel like when it's burning. Is the front still exposed, I really liked that look!

Keep up the great work, give us a shout when you can~p
Prescott

Postby rjdudley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 am

Hi guys I'd be happy to give my two cents:
1) The thickness. I went with a two inch thick form. It works better than I could have imagined, but, knowing what I know now I would have gone with 3". When I had bought the Kastolite I wasn't sure how far 3 bags would go and so I didn't want to risk thicker walls and then run out of material 3/4 of the way through. As it turns out 3 bags would have been plenty.
2) I bought Kastolite 2600. Made a 8 hr. round trip to Conn. to get it, but, found out later the store 15 min. down the road has it. Figures.
3) It seems to be holding up really well. The inside and outside are coated with refractory cement. The kind that comes in a tub and can be applied with a trowel. I coated the surfaces for two reasons. First, the kastolite seems kinda porous after it sets up and I didn't want to "rub" any of it off during moves. Second, I was hoping it might provide an additional thermal layer, that is I'm hoping it helps keep the burn chamber insulated. It does get hot to the touch after burning it for a long time (hour or so), we're going to cob around it for more insulation, but, I was toying with the idea of possibly just leaving it and spray painting it to add an accent color.
For some reason I'm totally comfortable doing the kastolite pour as opposed to the brick setup. Not sure why, but, the building a brick burn chamber intimidates me. With the castable I know there are no leaks, it's solid, the measurements are sure and true, the material is insulating by it's very nature and I can move it in one piece, not easily since it's darn heavy, but, it's still only one piece.
Hope that helps.
Raynman
rjdudley

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling