[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - About time we had a Firewood thread

About time we had a Firewood thread

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: About time we had a Firewood thread

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:56 am

Ha! Loved it!!!!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:09 am

Awesome. I need to get me some of those!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:17 pm

DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Thought I'd update you guys with my current stacks and the fir I've been working on this week. You'll notice the new stacks have much larger splits due to the new firebox. The upside is less splitting, the downside is longer drying times.

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm

That is some stack of firewood you have there Matt. You just bragging, or trying to make the rest of us look bad? :lol: You are definitely getting ahead on the goal of having 2 or 3 year supply cut and drying . Keep up the good work, I would say that I am envious, but it turns out that is against one of the Ten Commandments. ;) and I wouldn't want to covet anything that isn't rightfully mine. :lol: Really though, I am impressed, very impressed indeed. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Oh geez Guy, nope, not bragging. Trying to give myself a much needed kick in the butt to get going, actually. I figure if I post that I'm working on the stacks, I have to back it up by actually adding to what's there, and the pictures are a good record. It's only about three cords, and last winter I used 5, so I'm way behind. I am working that new stack pretty hard this week, It's already about another 3/4 of a cord, but still, I have my work cut out for me. I really need to get a splitter one of these days.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby 4seasons » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:54 pm

Did I read that last post right Matt? Did you say you used 5 cords last winter in your J-tube? How much was your old smoke dragon going thru in a winter?
4seasons

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Impresive indeed! Ive been trying to do good at gathering wood. From seeing what others have collected and split vs. the work i try to squeeze in really makes the required work a reality.

I did pick up a 5 ton electric splitter from the local big box hardware. actually i ordered it online for $220 knowing that the splitting power is limited. More power would be nice but i dont have a place to store a full size splitter and i didnt want the responsibility of maintaining yet another dinosaur juice burning mechanical moster.

The splitter is intended for small stuff, but im managing to split very large logs over over 24" girth by reading the wood and splitting off the edges. Might be something to look into Matt.
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:47 am

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby thickstrings » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 am

Have to agree about crappy gas and not having another motor around here to maintain......I am sure glad that my brother who lives close by has a hydraulic splitter. It hooks up to his tractor 3 point hitch and the hydraulic lines. It will break apart most of the oak around here....Big difference in wood . These red oak are pasture trees and they start branching very low and that makes for some gnarly block...not like forest trees that are a lot straighter. Do they make a propane splitter?
" Life is art...Live a masterpiece"
thickstrings

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling