[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Opportunity for the PermCommunity to Activate

Opportunity for the PermCommunity to Activate

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Opportunity for the PermCommunity to Activate

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Check out these links to a USDA opportunity:

Love 'em or hate 'em, think utilitarian.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Re: Opportunity for the PermCommunity to Activate

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Manny, I saw this earlier this week in the AfGH's newsletter. Honestly, I could use some help with my thoughts here, and I've been thinking about it a lot. For the last six weeks or so there's been a high lead clear cut operation going on right on top of me. The whole time I'm in my yard I'm listening to the talkie tooter and can watch the fellers, setters, see the rig, the whole thing. I can hear it right now from inside. Here's a vid from my yard last week....

Our local economy ran on mills and logging for the last 100 years, and there's still a few mills left. The big one just built a biomass incinerator, and there's another one in the next town over as well. So, all those piles of slash that used to be left at the landings of the cut blocks are now chipped up and trucked down to the water where they are burnt. On the one hand, it seems like a good thing. Burn that biomass for electricity to run the mill. But, they are hauling all of that material that would have decomposed into the new forest, using tons of energy to chip and truck it, and then blowing a huge amount of it into the air. I dunno man, I just really can't tell if it's good or horrific.

Am I right in my understanding of the articles above? That they are all partnering up not to fund small, clean burning business like my stove project, but rather, partnering to forward biomass on the industrial scale for energy production, over say hydroelectric or other forms of electricity production?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:58 pm

1.1 Million dollars, wow, that is truely something. That really is a Huge investment in clean burning Bio-Mass fuels. When you think of our Federal Gov. and how much the deficit has increased in the last few years, [ 10 Trillion up to 17 trillion ] you really get to see how much they value the rural communitys and how much they are willing to invest there.
Last edited by pa_friendly_guy on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:04 pm

I think I might sense a bit of sarcasm there Guy. :shock:
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Really??????????????? I can't imagine being sarcastic when taking about our Government. It is OUR Government after all, and since we all get the chance to Vote, I suppose we get the Government we deserve. :o Actually I hate to think we Deserve this, but I can't figure it any other way. Both Parties are so screwed up that neither one can get anything done. I see that as the one saving Grace of this Congress because if they passed any Bills I believe that would just srew things up more. If they can't get anything Passed, then they can't screw anything up. I am one of the 80% or more of the people who give Congress and unfavorable report.

PS I know this Forum is not political and if my comments are out of line or offensive in any way you have my deepest appology. Some times its just nice to vent a little bit if you know what I mean. :roll:
Last edited by pa_friendly_guy on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Fellas,

Perhaps I should have elaborated more- First, Matt, I have lived in, worked in, and enjoyed the forests in the PNW and know the extent of how raucious logging is out there. It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. I know many lives rely on the logging industry and many lives are also impacted negatively from the logging industry. I don't like it, and I get the impression that you don't either.

So here's the deal- the USDA has funding available. Maybe it's not a lot. Maybe other programs get funded more. Bottom Line: there's the link to the funding.

The program application form states: "Activities may include, but are not limited to, workshops and assistance that provide technical, financial, and environmental information; preliminary engineering assessments; and community outreach needed to support development of wood energy projects in both the public and private sectors."

So the way I see it, this money (big or small, Guy) is going to go to the same foresters that always apply for it, UNLESS other people apply and use it differently. Here's where I think all the wonderful things that all the wonderful people on this site have the opportunity to develop activities that "may include, but are not limited to, workshops and assistance that provide technical, financial, and environmental information; preliminary engineering assessments; and community outreach needed to support development of wood energy projects in both the public and private sectors." ... and that action takes those dollars away from the logging that we may not like. Be the change you want to see in the world.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Good thoughts Manny. I actually don't dislike logging much at all. I think that our state does a pretty good job of farming the forest at this point, and frankly, I benefit greatly from it. I get light to grow better, I cruise around the working forest for recreation whether mushroom hunting, surfing, or dirt biking. The money generated in state forests pays for schools in our state. The old trees are all pretty much gone, so as long as they don't take what's left of 'em, and practice good farming techniques on the rest, I'm good with it actually.

I was referring specifically to bio mass electricity. I'm just unsure of it, it seems that the stuff they are hauling out now is the stuff the forest needs to rebuild and stay healthy, even if it is just a farm at this point.

As for your thoughts, I'm in. If enough folks speak up we can at least make an effort to use some of that funding to teach folks that there are better ways to use wood for heat. The 'workshops' didn't get past me, it's an interesting opportunity for sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:47 pm

That is a Good point manny, very Good point. If you look at the signature I use on the bottom of every post you will see that I agree that we should be the change we want to see in the world. We, as that small group of dedicated people can truely change the world. Matt, I encourage you to apply for a grant to teach Rocket Stove design, it would be a Great way to use that funding, and a Great way to change the world.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Manny, I will have to give the second link a more thorough look, when I have more time available.

Having owned wooded land for quite a few years now, I am learning more about how trees operate in the ecosystem. I know that some degree of stewardship is required to delay the possibilities of natural disasters such as fire, flood and blight. And I believe that getting regular folks back into nature to exert some stewardship would do wonders for repairing the social fabric.
Lollykoko

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 pm

You are right, Lolly. Well, at least I think you are. My dad owned a mill and was in the logging business. I was brought up with the notion that clear cutting wasn't good for the general health for the forest. It is bad for long term business too. Selective cutting allows a consistent collection of high quality hardwoods. Maybe it is different out west. I may be wrong. Clear cutting generally produces "crap" wood. That is my dad's quote.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling