Launch!

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Launch!

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Well gang, today's the day. I've been working on this for a long time now, and it's been incredibly challenging for me on a lot of levels. Go easy on me....

http://walkerstoves.com/
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Launch!

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 pm

WOW !! Very nice Matt. I loved the art work, flames etc. I liked the lay out, and felt it was easy to use. I know it is just starting out, but giving an idea of Cost, even in a range, might be helpfull for people. Many people will look at the site, like the idea, but may not take the next step of contacting you because they might be afraid of costs. When George posted the idea of treating water with radio waves there were several of us that liked the idea and wanted to know more. The web site listed all the options and sizes of their units but no costs. Did any of us actually contact them to find out pricing? I know I didn't. ;) I just figured that if they didn't tell you it must be expensive. Because they are all custom made quoting costs can be difficult, but giving a range between a low of $_____ and a max of $_____ might help people get a comfort level with the produce. Just a thought. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks Guy, I appreciate the feedback and your nice comments. I know, I really struggled with cost and all that. The truth is, I can't afford to build them in any quantity. I looked into building production molds, and I have pricing for getting EPA and ASTM certifications. I can't do either of those things, so, for now, I really just wanted to get the concept out there. If someone really wants one, I can build them on a custom level, but they will be very expensive. Comparable to a new EPA stove. So, yeah, I kinda didn't want to put that up there because I actually don't really want to sell any/many. I just couldn't sleep knowing that I couldn't go any farther with this project, which I realized a little while ago, so I just had to make the website and get it out there.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Oh, probably the thing that really needs a price is the riser. I think folks might want those, and those I can provide. They are expensive also, $150 for the 6" x 24" section. But yeah, might be a good solution for folks who don't want to build their own.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:06 pm

I think they will sell at the $150 price range. Just look at this site and see how worried people are with these heaters, how much concern they have with the idea. I think they would GLADLY pay to recieve a Manufactured componant they they " Know " is safe to use. Do you have any plans on writing a How To Book on the subject? Again I think that alot of people would buy such a book.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:11 pm

You f**ker! (Meant in a good way) I have been whining about this forever over on "the site that shall not me named"! I hope you have the name trademarked, insurance, and the whole business thing because you are going to need it with your success.

I wonder if this can be covered with some masonry...hmm...
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:12 pm

I have given some thought to drawing up some plans on how I built these. My initial thought is I would just make the plans free and open. I dunno Guy, I really have struggled with all of this, how much to try to give away and how much to sell. The reality is, I have a job I really like, and I don't really like the idea of another one. That sounds like work, and I much prefer Manny's advice of "relax and have a homebrew" as opposed to more work.

But, who knows, maybe a book or plans or something for sale might not be too much for me. I'll see where this all goes, I'm sure it will end up somewhere.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Ha! Thanks 'Brew. Nope, in my usual casual way I have nothing organized. It was hard enough just to get to this point.

Dang, I gotta go to real work on a boat now. I'll see you guys later.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:23 pm

I too am at a place where I want to sit back and have a Home Brew, or a PBR as the case maybe, :lol: But you seem to really love this idea. You are invested heavily in the project both in time, energy and mental effort. You gave birth to the idea so to speak. If you don't really want to make the Walker Stoves you can still recoup some of that effort by selling the riser, or a How To Manual and still sit back and smell the roses.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby GrahamB » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:05 am

Matt, I'm with Guy on this one. Write the How To book! If you make it an ebook, all you have to do is get it self published on Amazon, Nook or any of the other e publishers. Once that is done you sit back and watch your bank account fill up. You could put a link to the book on your website (I like the site btw).
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling