Awesome new build

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Awesome new build

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if you guys have been following along over at Donkey's board, but there is a member there who has posted three amazing builds in the last month. The first two were batch box style, and followed more of a masonry heater format, but his latest is pure j tube, and it's just freaking awesome. Manny, I'm looking at you here, check out his (not quite finished) finish on the brick/cob combination. Amazing....

http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread/88 ... ass-heater
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Awesome new build

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:42 pm

I had to do a search to find the other threads. Here they are:

http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread/84 ... tch-system

http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread/87 ... er-heating

I love this guy's brick work and the bell system. By the way, Matt, I am super jealous that you will be meeting Lars.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 pm

He cancelled a while ago 'Brew. Lots of interesting group emails behind the scenes on this whole deal throughout. Basically the National Mall is part of the National Park and they have restrictions such that he felt he couldn't build a suitable demonstration heater. Things like trucking and setting up early and so on. It's a shame.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:23 pm

That is disappointing news.

Radek has some mad skills. I am a guessing Radek is from overseas but crossing my fingers that he is over here. Radek seems to be encasing the rockets more than doing a masonry hybrid. It is difficult to see the details from the pictures. The only example I have seen of the masonry hybrids has been on Peter's Youtube channel.

Oh well...I need to get going.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks so much for posting that, Matt. And thanks, 'Brew for posting the two additional links. All very beautiful. It's hard to see what's going on with Matt's link there- I can't tell what the story is with the feed but very beautiful brick work.

The heater with the water heating loop and the oven?!?! Come on! Is that the coolest thing you've ever seen or what?! And the info on the clay slip and cardboard expansion joint?!?!?! Priceless! I think I'm gonna take a moment here alone.... :oops:

I see some modifications in my future.... Seriously though, I've had something similar in mind with the oven on top. I'd need a wider door to do at least a 16" pizza but that thing would definitely get the 500* temps needed for good breads and crusts. I wonder how much it would affect direct heating ability of the stove? I'm also really stoked to see that the water heating is working for him. I would love to see more detail.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to Heating and Cooling