RMH quest...any suggestions, please ???

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: RMH quest...any suggestions, please ???

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:46 pm

How far gone is that 'glass? You can certainly use it to keep the heat where you want it, i.e. insulate the room better, insulate the floor underneath your heater, insulate the ceiling in the stove room, etc. I used a little bit of fiberglass strands to reinforce my casting mix, and it works well, but I wouldn't recommend going overboard and using it everywhere. Straw is much nice fiber to work with.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Smallhagrid,

Check Craigslist. There are often adds for free brick giveaways or discounts, including fire brick.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby smallhagrid » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Folks and thanks again !!!
Just returning here from searching CL for brick, firebrick, chimney - anything I could think of to keyword it - and all are far, far away or already gone today - but there's always tomorrow...I do have a small flatbed trailer for my old car, but hauling too much too far just re-allocates the expenses from new stuff to fuel & wear & tear, so I'm being careful of distances to get used stuff.

The 'glass is OK - just plain batting very badly installed a long time ago by some silly person - in a barn - what a joke !!!
It's a dangling mess, but dry so I'm going to remove it & bag it up into feed bags for the moment.

I was thinking it maybe would be useful as you suggested Matt - and if there's too much of it I'll put it in CL for free and make it go away pretty fast I bet.

Thanks,
smallhagrid

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Freecycle is another good place to look for free stuff. People post things that they no longer need but still have a useful life left. Its designed to keep things out of the land fill. There are a lot of children's cloths, and things like that, but there are also brick, left over building supplies, kitchen appliances, furniture, stone, and many other useful stuff. It is Nationwide, look on the net and see if you have a local branch. Good Luck.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby smallhagrid » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks for that reminder.

I used to be a member of freecycle at one time too.
Back then it was always hard to get anything from it because of the competition and I remember driving a distance more than once to be told whatever it was got picked up 10 minutes before I got there.
It's probably a bit easier in more urban areas, I would think.

I'll give it a look though - can't hurt !!!

EDIT:
Looked up freecycle in my area and found 3 groups within reasonable distance and joined them...all good so far...

One of them became available right away, so I posted - and mine is the only post, ever, on that group !!!

The other 2 are just sitting there as I've not been approved yet, so it's back to CL for me, for now.
(It always amazes me when folks have for sale listings on CL and don't list a phone # - and also don't answer emails; makes me wonder why they've bothered to list stuff there a'tall to begin with ?!?)
smallhagrid

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling