Heat riser insulation idea?

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Heat riser insulation idea?

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Hello all. New guy here.

I apologize if this has already been entertained, but could spent ashed be used to fill the void between the inner and outer shells in the riser pipe instead of heavy materials?

Drew
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Heat riser insulation idea?

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Welcome Drew, glad you joined us. I have a small rocket cook stove [ there is a thread about it on here some place ] I used wood ashes as the insulation for that cooking unit. It works well. For the heat riser of a heating stove you have a much larger fire and much higher temperatures. Matt said the inside of his riser burned away after just a few fires. That would leave the wood ashes totally exposed with nothing holding them in place. For durability and longevity I would keep a much stronger material for the heat riser. I think you will find it will work much better than wood ashes. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Good to see you on here Drew, welcome. I'll back up what Guy says, but I will add that wood ash mixed with clay can be used as a pretty low grade insulator for quick builds that you don't expect or care to last very long. I've read of folks using it with some success, but it seems it slumps and compresses over time, reducing it's insulation value. Still, probably a reasonable material for yard experiments.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby hpmer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 am

I use it for my builds, but the others are right; ashes by themselves will pack down over time and lose their effectiveness. The way I use them is to mix them with a clay slip and then use them as the mix for the core build. They will fire over time just like brick and I've found they work pretty well.

I've only built a few of these things (5or 6) so it's a bit anecdotal, but so far am pleased with the results.

That said mine are cook stoves and are not used every day, so Matt may be right about longevity if you're planning on firing it every day for heat.

I'm currently building one of Matt's barrel bbq's so this one will get more of a workout, but I won't have results for a while, so that doesn't help you at present with your decision.
hpmer

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Thank you for the kind replies. It will be quite a while before I make something for my home, but using ash will allow me to experiment at a lower cost.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Return to Heating and Cooling