[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Drew's build, maybe...

Drew's build, maybe...

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Drew's build, maybe...

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Thank you Matt, I believe I understand your points...
I also believe that I'm going to take this little 15# tub back tomorrow and exchange for the 50# bag, it just seems like such a better deal.
I'm going to start scouting local free clay. I grew up near a ravine and I remember a location where a street storm drain spilled onto the side of the hill where we used to dig the clay with our hands and make goofy sculptures as kids would... My old stomping grounds is about 15 miles away and I think I'm going to take a drive this weekend.
I'm also close to acquiring a garbage can of free powdered ball diamond clay! That might happen this weekend! ...fingers are crossed.....
What do you think about using a scuba tank the inside lining for a heat riser? It's nearly 8" in diameter but not quite so tall. I figured that I could cut the top and bottom off the tank, add some firebrick to the top of the hot side of the burn tunnel to build height, and then place the shell on top of the firebrick.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:48 pm

I think scuba tanks are aluminum? I am totally guessing there, but if it is, I wouldn't use it. It will actually melt into a puddle at the bottom of the core if it is. If it's steel, I'd say maybe. I think there are better choices. A little too small in the riser might really screw up the balance of the rest of it, although again, I'm guessing. If you have any buddies in construction, ask 'em if they are doing any remodels. You can usually get under the floor and grab HVAC ducting from tear downs.

BTW, when I give advice like this, please just take it as me offering an opinion. If I didn't do exactly what I read not to do with regards to so much of this stuff I never would have some of the cool burners I've made over the last couple years. So yeah, it might be awesome! I don't think so though. Lol.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 am

Funny you mention.. I thought the same and hit the tank with a magnet.. It stuck on just like a ... Well... A magnet! :)
DrewInToledo

Postby DrewInToledo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Happy November!

I'd like to share photos of my latest score..

4ft^3 sack of vermiculite - $14.00

Garbage can of clay - free!

When the times comes to cast the core, I'll be mixing the clay:vermiculite at a 1:1 ratio, and then adding the entire tub of refractory mortar. I'll also try to find some fiberglass to whip in.

Has anyone tried adding chicken wire as a sort of rebar to the casting?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Looking good there Drew! That's a great price on the vermiculite, and that clay looks awesome.

Interesting about the scuba tank, I would have thought steel would be too heavy. I guess not, and it's not stainless. Weird.

As for the chicken wire, I believe it will expand and contract at such a different rate than the clay that it will only serve to create fissures, but again, guessing. It might be awesome. They do sell stainless steel needles as reinforcement for high heat refractory, which I would have made the same guess about, so don't take my word for it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:01 pm

After doing a little scrubbing around the web, I found that chicken wire may not be a good choice not so much due to expansion/contraction (after all there isn't much mass to chicken wire), but rust, mineral buildup, etc, that may cause what Matt described hence, stainless materials available.

It's been busy day but I did manage to work on the core mold a little bit. I am going to try a method to twist rising gases for better mixing by routing curved channels into the mold... You can see it here and also that I am relaxing with 24oz of homebrew..

Oh.... I almost forgot about another score today! :)

DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Nice Drew, way to stick to the cardinal rule of RMH construction.

Love the Rifled Riser! Cool.

Interesting on the chicken wire. I have experimented so much outdoors, I have a vague recollection of pulling chicken wire out of a crumbled mass of clay, but I honestly don't remember if I did that or not. Anyway, my terrible memory aside, good to get some confirmation.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Oh, and I almost wish you didn't have to burn the paint off. That hot pink barrel is sweet!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:22 pm

DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Would go well with my vintage OP collection and 80's visors.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling