[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - 'soft' firebrick questions, please ??

'soft' firebrick questions, please ??

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: 'soft' firebrick questions, please ??

Postby freedomlives » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:35 pm

freedomlives

Postby smallhagrid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks.
Just to be clear - I really miss the time when search engines honestly followed boolean syntax; they no longer do though.

That having been said, and also to be really clear - I avoid using the goog monster unless I am really desperate.
(Before scroogle got killed off that was the best option for avoiding tracking & targeting...)

I mostly use ixquick and duckduckgo nowadays.

It may be that these other search engines will use that same syntax, I have not tried it.

When a forum's own search option fails me I really prefer to ask others for help and find that is the best option.

Thanks.
smallhagrid

Postby freedomlives » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Yea, I once liked google because I could be sure that any result contained every word I searched for.

ixquick looks like a good alternative. I wasn't impressed with duckduckgo last time I tried it...
freedomlives

Postby colin saengdara » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:52 am

Just to add a couple more thoughts to this thread. When mortaring bricks for your burn chamber, you want the joint to be as thin as possible. The mortar serves two purposes. Preventing air infiltration, and holding everything together. Depending upon the condition of your used bricks, you may or may not want to add the sand. I find that a little bit of very fine sharp sand makes the clay very easy to work with and since I always use used bricks, it fills any gaps better than clay alone. Clay by itself will crack. I don't worry about small cracks in these joints as the clay is still taking up the space in the joint.

If your clay is overly sticky, you might want to add a little bit of sand. But run it through a screen first. You definitely do not want big chunks of sand in these joints. They will prevent your bricks from sitting flat and frustrate you to no end. I buy the sand I use for this purpose. It is crushed silica sand, and very fine. You can find this at building supply places. Any sand will do, but run it through a fine screen first. You are looking for fine, consistent sized grain with a sharp angular shape, not round.
colin saengdara

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling