[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Small Gasifier for Cooking

My Small Gasifier for Cooking

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: My Small Gasifier for Cooking

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:55 pm

That makes sense to me. And its a Good thing to know. I have never used Bio-char, I will have to check out the benefits and maybe see about starting to use it. I have heard about it for some time, but never tried it. Its hard for this Old Dog to learn new tricks. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 am

Yes, the trick is to get it wet and mucky. It's amazingly efficient at grabbing and holding onto water and nutrients, so if you put it down dry it will rob the surrounding soil. If you load it first, it will normalize with the soil and thereafter hold everything for the soil to work with. I have really got to get my butt in gear and build my big retort.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby DevilsBrew » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 am

EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby GrahamB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm just going to build the 55 gallon retort. I have the 55 gallon drum but I need to get bold of a 35 gallon for the inner gasifier compartment. I'm at the beginning of a long term no till growing system and I want to help it along by putting down a layer of innoculated biochar mixed with rabbit manure.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby DevilsBrew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:21 am

EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I kind of like this video, it shows how to make a gasifier stove and demonstrates how it works. Pretty simple really. I watched several videos that used a battery to operate a fan to operate the stove. That didn't seem sustainable to me, and you had the cost of a battery and a fan. This process works well and does not require any out side input except wood. And I have wood. :lol: You can make the stove larger simply by using larger cans, a paint can would give you a nice size and perhaps add some stability as far a tip over would be concerned with a Larger cooking pot. The smaller size did make a nice flame and the fire was about the size of your gas stove burner. So the smaller unit may make the right size fire for cooking, I was just concerned about tipping it over with a Large pot. I suppose that you could add some sort of legs to make it more stable. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9jmoU9E3_s
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Nice find there, Guy. I am going to get a couple bigger cans to use for testing here either this weekend or by the end of the month. The crazy busy time of the holiday season has begun for me.

I agree with you about the balance of the pot on a little stove. The idea of a separate stand is pretty sensible and I have come across a few videos with such an aparatus.

I have been daydreaming over the outdoor possibilities of combining a glass door design with Aprovecho's. Of course, I would add a flower design for some bling. ;) First though, I have to see for myself how these stoves work. :)
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Could you ever use a flue with a gasifier?
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:44 pm

I do not know. I suppose you could, but most of the ones I have seen are the small can types for camping. I think the larger one that Aprovecho made for institutional use has a flue. Maybe someone else knows more about them and can give you a better answer.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm

I'll surround the tin can with brick and see what happens. :twisted:
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling