[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - core recipes and parts catalog

core recipes and parts catalog

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: core recipes and parts catalog

Postby matt walker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:31 am

Lolly, is it cellulose blown in or fiberglass blown in? If it's fiberglass, it might be of some good. If it's cellulose, I don't know, I've never played with any of that. Oddmar did have good luck with making insulated chimney with cellulose, so maybe?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 am

I'm pretty sure it's cellulose. Most of it has been shoved into large garbage bags, and there is undoubtedly some plaster mixed in with it. (I hired someone else to clean it up) I might put the bags into the garage until the weather breaks and I can take it to the farm and play outside with gooey stuff.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:45 pm

I am glad you have a good supply of clay for your stove project from the County's work on your ditch. Will you try and dam up the water , or dig a deeper hold at one spot for your irrigation project? Is there actually much flow of water through your ditch?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby alex52e » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:38 am

alex52e

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Welcome, alex52e. I think it's by volume. 1:1. At least that's how I built mine. Also see Colin's tiny bell RMH thread where he gets pretty explicit about his mix. I've read that vermiculite adds strength to the mix while perlite weakens it, but I can't say from experience. I don't think you'll want to use the gardening sources. Find a brick or fireplace shop that will have it specifically fire fire insulation purposes. You might even try the big box hardware stores. The vermiculite I used was extremely fine black material that also very light weight and says zonolite on the label.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Yep, by volume. I don't have much experience with vermiculite, but either will work. I do actually use Perlite from the garden supply places. I've bought both masonry grade and horticultural grade and both worked just fine. Those little bags at the box store will get expensive quickly. If you have a grow shop near you they will sell perlite in large bags. You can also ask at whatever masonry place you source your fire clay, they can probably special order it in for you.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby alex52e » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 am

Matt, thanks again for the answers. I haven't looked for a masonry source yet. I was just getting a rough estimate on cost and using lowe's online to get them. When I actually begin sourcing materials I'll be sure to check around for a masonry place. Living in the hills of WV (read backwoods), I'm sure they are around. ;)
alex52e

Postby hpmer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:01 pm

The Home Depot site has the large bags of perlite.
hpmer

Postby alex52e » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:29 am

alex52e

Postby abarlow » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:27 pm

What is everyone's experience with dry time. I cast my core yesterday. But its been 24 hours and it doesn't seem dry enough to start a fire yet. How long are folks waiting? Is it good to wait longer or is burning it the only thing that will set it?
abarlow

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling