[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - RMH observations & comments...

RMH observations & comments...

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

RMH observations & comments...

Postby smallhagrid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 pm

First - a confession=>
I am a tree lover and given my preferences will not use firewood at all for heating.

That being said - here I be, in a house where burning wood for heat is the only available choice - so getting good heat AND using less wood suits me quite nicely if such is possible...and it IS now truly possible !!!

The odd-looking contraption I made works so wonderfully well that it really amazes me.
This house was built around 1880 from what I've been told - it is not nearly tight and not easy to heat because of it's door placements.

Before today I used the RMH on a cold day and it did a good but not great job owing to the heat's lack of penetration.

I than took a day and a half off from heating due to warmer/sunny weather - and had a chance to dig out the solution - a small, quiet 120V fan.
Mounted it towards the back of that room's doorway, and presto - heat moving problem is now 100% solved.

Here is what I would share with anyone perched on the fence as I had been for some time=>
These things need not be made to exacting specs and I think there is no solidly right vs. wrong way to do it; just make yours to suit your space & needs.

What I made here is using so little wood to make so much heat - for so many hours at a time that it pleases me greatly.

Being on the 2nd floor, I use a 5-gallon bucket to haul up wood.

For the box stove - on a cold day, just to keep the house decently warm would easily take from 2-5 full buckets of wood.

For the RMH - which heats this house more evenly & thoroughly - it takes less than a bucketful to get MUCH better heat which then lasts for hours after the fire is out.

The RMH is also incredibly easy to start.

To get split, thick logs started in the box stove takes the better part of an hour using a load of paper & kindling - and then it takes a couple of hours before the heat spreads out enough for the kitchen & bathroom to be comfortable at all (and the mud room would be closed off as well).

The RMH takes under 10 minutes to be burning small oak splits - warms the mud room instantly - and the rest of the house via the small fan in about 40 minutes altogether.

Here's what I really love about using this:
2 hours after the fire is out & the burn tunnel is capped I go feel it's masonry and it is still giving off a significant amount of heat despite not having a huge amount of thermal mass - and to me that is just...wow...what could be better ?!?

I've known folks who used 9, 10 or more cords of wood per winter - and this method of heating makes that seem like such an obviously sad waste.
In a place like this where there's a woods right behind it - I may now have to totally re-think my personal POV about wood heat.

All I will have to do for there to be enough firewood for a whole heating season here would be to make a walk with grain bags every nice day - fill them with tree drops - and stack them up - heating a whole place with just sticks - wow twice.

This is a huge improvement - amazing to use - and very pleasant.
(This is also the exactly perfect solution for using solid fuel heating for an asthmatic like myself.)

My Sincerest Thanks to all the Good Folks here who pitched in to my various threads while I was getting into this.

This truly is a life changing technology which I highly recommend.
smallhagrid

Re: RMH observations & comments...

Postby matt walker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:06 am

Well, this makes my day. I'm so glad to hear it is working so well for you. They really are wonderful heaters.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm really glad it's working out for you Small Hagrid! It's amazing how easy these things are to fabricate, isn't it?

A couple of things that I was thinking while reading your post: RMHs are great for heating small spaces, and it should be noted that you've got quite a small space to heat, and it's working great! I think a traditional box stove would roast you like a turkey in that space- and if you were using a traditional box stove in your space, you wouldn't require very much wood either.

However, the RMH are pretty efficient with wood. I'm only using about 5 gallon pails of wood a day, too. I really like the idea of filling feed bags on a daily walk- thanks for that! A light bulb went off in my head when I read it! :)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby smallhagrid » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:53 pm

smallhagrid

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:09 pm

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Geez, yeah, that grain bag idea! Love it! There's a product for wetsuits and rubber called Aqua-seal that sticks well to natural rubber. Maybe that will work for the boots?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby smallhagrid » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks Again Folks !!!
RTV is just the automotive name for silicone - and duck boots seem to be some sort of plastic - I guess it could be rubber too, but if so it's very poor/cheap rubber...
(Seem likely to me that they cracked from the cold which is pretty silly for winter boots !!!)
smallhagrid

Postby hpmer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 pm

Those look like LL Bean boots. If so, they have a lifetime repair/replace guarantee. Might be worth an inquiry.
hpmer

Postby smallhagrid » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 pm

smallhagrid

A shot I've been waiting to get...

Postby smallhagrid » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Precipitation and other things have kept me from getting it - and finally, here 'tis:
That shot was taken with some small oak splits actively burning and as you can see - nothing visible seems to be coming out of the funny window box a'tall.

What is visible is the discolouration above the box from the dirty steam exhaust - which I'm guessing I'll have to wash off at some point.
(If you look closely you can also see how poor a shape that window is in; what is not obvious is how the cold outside air leaks right in through the wall there !!)

Presently it is a balmy 4°F here with a 'wind chill' of -8°F and at my desk it is 68°F; pretty doggone good for heating with something that uses so little fuel I think !!!

It thrills me that I can go from no fire in this to making useful heat with it in under 10 minutes and that once warmed all I have to do is to tuck in another small bit or two of wood now & then to keep it comfy in here.

Wow. Just...wow. (I am getting to a point where I now dread the very thought of making a fire in the box stove - yuck.)

And a side-note=>
I finally just slapped some duct tape over the cracks in my boots and also made & added some boot chains.
The terrain here is too rough for what passes for crampons these days.
Making my own from bungee cord & jack chain was enjoyable and works very, very well too.
Bottom line is that those boots will now only be worn when there is frozen stuff all around.
When it does get melty here I'll just use my wellies instead...
(I do have another older & more worn pair of duck boots I'd like to patch someday if it is possible somehow...?)

Best Wishes to All !!!
smallhagrid

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling