4" Cookstove

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: 4" Cookstove

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Fantastic, sir! Well done man. I hear your ducks excited about it too. That thing looks commercial. do you think that could be tiled on the sides after its dry? I dont think it would matter in your application but i could see one of these as a freestanding stove in one of my rooms.

I love the idea of having a rocket that doesnt consume an entire area of a room. Since you dont have a large amount of mass typical with the rocket stove mass heater design, do you find a great deal of heat up and out the flue?
Ive never embedded youtube links using the "youtube" tags in the editor. I just use the URL tags to create a link. I never noticed those tags before.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:22 pm

OMG, I go away for a few weeks and look what you do. Man, that thing is awesome. Gonna have to get that exhaust temp down a bit for long term use, but for just cooking for a short time that is an amazing solution. I know you don't have room, but a simple second bell/cooktop would probably bring things down enough for long term use. Fantastic work my friend!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for the props, guys! And welcome back Matt!

This little stove is super fun. For sure, Drew, you can tile this idea and it would work well. It would probably work even better than trying to plaster the vertical walls and inverted front slope. I'm having a heck of a time getting motivated to bring it back inside.

Once the core mold burned out the running temps dropped significantly. I could still push it hard to get those temps back but under a normal burn the exit temps were closer to 300*.

I ran it all day, drying it out and adding more plaster. Meanwhile, I was boiling a Tasso pork shank. That big vat of water was probably sucking up a lot of the heat, too. Either way, Matt is right; for temporary use the temps are just fine. And because the walls are so thin the core continues to radiate heat for a while afterwards.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling