[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:59 pm

You are going to love that thing man, and a cord will go a long way in it for sure. Manny's right about the ember protection comment, make sure you have at least the recommended clearance on the hearth in front of the stove, and frankly I'd add another foot or so because it is going to end up being where you put the next load of wood, wet boots, drying projects, the dog, etc...
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:16 pm

I managed to get some tile cut tonight. Final design, all girlfriend approved and stuff...

I'd like to frame it in oak. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to grout between the edges of the outer tile and the oak without making a mess of the oak. It's been 20 years since I've tiled. Maybe it will wipe off the oak while it's wet easily.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:34 am

It looks great! Yes, the damp grout should wipe off the wood trim easily.
Lollykoko

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:57 am

Hey thanks Lollykoko! I hope to pick up somesupplies tomorrow and keep the momentum moving forward.
DrewInToledo

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Done!

DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:44 am

Nice one Drew, I loved it. Nice socks, and a handy beverage to boot. You tile like a pro man.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Ha! Thanks!!

I'm surprised you found my beverage. And yes, those socks are cozy!

Can anyone tell me how much offset I need to move over to avoid the peak of the roof? How close can I install the box to the peak? Now that I think about it, I guess the flange would need a row of shingle or two to tuck behind, so maybe it will be dependent on that criteria?
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:13 pm

I might just try making my own flange out of sheet metal and put it right on the peak. Just go down to the big box store and see how theirs are made and then do the same thing but fit t for the peak.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby TruGrit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Drew, love it! .. I am thinking along these same lines myself .. how long after you ordered was it shipped and does it come freight? .. how much was the shipping? .. the closest terminal here is 20 miles away, reckon I could trailer it home, but 600 lbs .. yikes!

.. this may be the way I go to save room, love the bench, but takes up a lot of space .. of which I'm short of ..

.. guess I'll see what you think of yours and plan mine for next year .. good luck and keep us informed .. oh, and photos, photos, photos .. :D
TruGrit

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm

So I submitted the height of the ceiling to the Woodstock Soapstone company and it turns out that I can use single wall after all. I'm told that I'll have about 8-8.5ft. of stove pipe and that's on the threshold of single vs. double. I decided to source the pipe from them as well. They use 22ga metal and they will paint it brown to match my stove, which is cool. But, I am paying a little more this was and it's raising my shipping charges a bit. This is becoming quite expensive, especially compared to a RMH stove. :(

Now for a trivial question: Should I create a "lip" around the hearth, or make it flush with the tiles? It seems that a lip would contain any debris, but a smooth level transition might make it easier to sweep and clean. I know... a little detail, but I thought I'd bounce it off you guys who's lived with stoves. here's what I have so far. The border is just sitting in place:

Hi TruGrit!

I've been making payments for many months before the official release day, but once I made the final payment, I'm going to say production is out about a month out +/- 1 week. I didn't track the time when I told them to pull the trigger but it's probably been a couple weeks ago and it's slated to arrive the first week in October.

As for the weight.. umm... yeah. About that.. 620 lbs is what I'm being told and I have no idea how I'm getting this thing inside!! My plan is to have it shipped to a local hardware store that has a forklift. Then, I'll have them remove it from the truck and place it on my trailer. My trailer is an el'cheap-o Harbor Freight so I'm a little concerned but it's supposed to be rated for 1195 lbs. I know I'll be straining it. I'm probably going to have them drop it right on my homebrew appliance cart and chock the wheels so I can roll it off the trailer when I get home... or I'll have them drop it directly on my trailer and use the winch on my quad to slide it off the trailer onto my cart. I'm still trying to devise a plan that will work.

Shipping is a couple hundred dollars but it's an unavoidable cost. I won't be burning a while bunch, but hopefully I'll offset my heating bill enough this year to pay the shipping cost. Not an unrealistic goal, right?

I love the RMH bench, but after lots of thought I decided on the hybrid. I'm in a ranch home on a crawl so real estate is at a premium. I guess I could say that about a RMH since it could have dual-purpose. Either way, I never owned a wood stove before, so I'm super-stoked!

I'll be taking photos along the way. Stay tuned!
DrewInToledo

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling