[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Well, i figured in the climate I'm in, the RMH would create a bunch of work. I LOvE the function and idea, but i put a down payment on a real steel hybrid. Any objections? Im looking for some serious feedback here as Ive never owned a wood burner and the downpayment is 100% refundable. I value everyone on this forum and would appreciate all input.. Dont hold back, please.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Talk me out of it? Real steel hybrid.

Postby matt walker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

If you are referring to the Woodstock Soapstone Company's box stove, man, I couldn't be more impressed with a heater. I spent a week next to that thing in DC and it was flat out amazing. I would buy one a heartbeat. The price is astonishing considering what a great heater it is. Go for it man.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks Matt. Thats exactly what i am referring to. I am looking forward to it. Of course, i need all the accoutrements such as floor pad, double wall, etc. its all new to me. Im still building a rocket mass heater in the spring though!
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't know anything about them, but I say if it doesn't affect your bottom line and you think it's what you're looking for, do it!

I will say, don't buy your pipe from a fireplace shop- it will be like twice as much as the big box stores and they're already really expensive. Years ago I got quoted $60 for a 3' piece of black at a fireplace shop- I already had the stove, just needed the pipe to pipe it in. Their total estimate for pipe (no installation) was like $750. I went to the big box hardware store and bought all that pipe for like $75.

As for the pad, just get a chunk of cement board and put some pretty tile on it or something, you'll be in it for $50 vs. the $100s they charge for those things. Or just buy it, whatever works for you. ;)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Bobwieser » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 pm

I got a hearth pad for my wood stove from Tractor Supply for $80.00. Its UL listed. There are many that are decorative and you can make your own but you cant beat the price. Hardy backer is not what to use as it has little insulation value. Ii did not want an air space under the pad. Good luck.
Bobwieser

Postby DrewInToledo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks for the valuable input guys.

I would definitely build my own pad, but i must admit that was drinking a little of the "you need a stainless, welded, double wall system" koolaid a little bit. Maybe i can find some clearance items at the box stores now that spring is approaching.

My idea of a wood stove is to extract as much heat as possible and add only a little wood. I scored an old, old Lopi in my area which was is beautiful shape. Im guessing it was made in the 80s although you wouldn't have known it. It really only looked a couple years old for about two hundred bucks. I took it to the local Lopi dealer and they couldn't date it. They even called Lopi while i was there and we were told that it could have been one of their earliest models. It didn't have secondaries so i thought and thought about how id probably just be throwing wood at it, which is what i want to avoid. Hence, i found myself talking to Lorin at woodstock.
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Drew, all box stoves have different clearance ratings for the hearth pad. Some need insulation and some just need ember protection. Ask Woodstock what is required, it might save you a bunch. If you just need ember protection, there are a lot of inexpensive options. If you need insulation, then you need insulation and will be looking at something a little more substantial.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm almost done paying on my ideal steel hybrid stove. It took me quite a while but not much more to go... I think I have an option for a back plate which will allow me to install closer to a wall so I might put myself back another month or two depending on the additional price, but....

I know it's a personal choice, but I'm not really satisfied with any of the art to choose from here:

I submitted the work for the 2 kokopellis on the site, but after seeing them mocked up on the stove, I don't care for them. I'm leaning towards the dragon.

Thoughts? Ideas? I know I'm opening a can of worms here!
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah I see what you mean, Drew. I tend to lean towards plain, but I'm just boring like that.

Sheesh! Why do they have to give you so many choices? ;)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I really love the program they are running there, with all the art choices. I had a wonderful time in DC meeting and hanging with their crew, and one of the (many) folks from that organization who left a great impression was the artist who does most of those. She was just wonderful, warm and obviously loved art and design. I can't help but think of her when I see those, and since they have a story for me I like them that much more. So, yeah, I'd have no idea what to choose! I like the dragon. I think it's great that they are easily removed, you can change your mind down the road if need be. I'm so stoked to hear about your experience with that thing this winter, I bet you are going to love it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling