[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Core mould done

Core mould done

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Core mould done

Postby Rhett » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:54 pm

And the riser...

Rhett

Postby Rhett » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:12 pm

So I took the wood off my core and it looks like I didn't pack as well as I thought?.How serious are people when they talk of exploding air pockets? Is this a real concern?
Rhett

Postby matt walker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Never crossed my mind. I've burned a whole lot of poorly packed cores. I actually doubt I've ever built one that wasn't poorly packed! Don't sweat it man, you can't mess this up that badly, I think you probably did just great.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Rhett » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 pm

That's good to know. I will burn with impunity.
Rhett

Postby Rhett » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Dang guys, my core is busted up. There is no way it will support my monster riser. Has anyone ever had to build some kind of frame or support to hold it all together?

Rhett

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 am

Ah crap. Well, there's the downside to casting with the elbows. They are too rigid and when the clay shrinks around them the results are the same as trying to cast brick or anything else in there. I suppose in the risers I make the single round section is weak enough that it gets compressed as the clay shrinks, or something.

Anyway, man, I think you can salvage that and be just fine. Cob is your friend, and it's why I call these a core. Mine are always cracked, not like that, but none of them that I've ever made have been solid enough to stand on their own, and I don't think it's worth trying to build one that will. Just pack mud all around it and you'll never know it is cracked. If you aren't happy with cob, you could build a metal surround, or hardiboard box that you could tile, or a brick surround, or something like that. Give it a little extra room and pack all around that thing with perlite/fireclay. It will be just fine.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Rhett » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:09 am

I wondered about that, but wondered maybe if I had the mix wrong. I used vermiculite instead of perlite because that's what they gave me when I asked for perlite. I didn't figure it out until I had already opened the bag. Or maybe the mix was too dense or something. Anyway, I reinforced it with some temporary bracing just to see if I could get a burn. It's a start.

[youtube]1NTsuHfbepk[/youtube]
Rhett

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:19 am

Hey, that's a good start! It's doing great for the first burn. The cracks under the riser are hurting the stove's draft at the feed and ability to pull all the flame/smoke down. If you pack some mud in there it will help a lot. That was fun to watch man, keep 'em coming!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Rhett » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Hmmm, I just noticed the forum did not embed the video. How do I do that? I thought I put the video id between a YouTube tag. No?

Yeah I wondered if those cracks were hurting performance. It can't be good when you see light coming out of the burn tunnel from the side! But really it may not have come through on the video but the performance was actually pretty decent until the wind picked up. It's been really windy here lately. When the wind blew hard there was some Bernoulli effect and the fire and smoke would be pulled out. But for the most part there was better draft than I had hoped for. Pretty cool to see fire burn upside down and sideways! And it really did roar. You could hear it twenty feet away.

It was getting dark so it was hard to tell but it seemed like some black smoke was coming out. That was a bit of a concern. I had hoped for a more thorough burn. I guess the cracks could be letting heat out and that hurt me. But could my short burn tube be hurting me too? I made the riser extra tall to hopefully overcome that. Measured from the center of the burn tube it's something like 47/48" to the top of the clay. Or maybe it didn't get fully up to heat? It burned for about 15 min before I had to call it a night.

Anyway thanks for all the help and inspiration. We're getting there.
Rhett

Postby TruGrit » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:35 pm

.. Rhett, remove the 's' from the http and it will embed ..

TruGrit

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling