[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Standard Muddy Box

Standard Muddy Box

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Standard Muddy Box

Postby 4seasons » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 am

I call this version 3.0
I took the underperformed "Flame Crasher" and knocked out the heat riser portion of the core and repacked cob to create a standard 4 inch batch box with a round heat riser. There is nothing fancy about this one. The numbers are straight off Peter's Batch Box chart. Here is the first burn as it was settling to coals.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMryPa007Ak&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
It took a couple of minutes after tossing that half rotten and somewhat wet wood in the box for the smoke to clear.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rXTNCLzp2w&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Then I realized I was giving it too much air. A makeshift air inlet from some brick and block and I got a clear burn.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Fv4iStMic&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Even though I was not getting the perfect "ram horn" pattern the the flame crasher was doing I noticed a lot more heat was coming from the riser. I had to hold the camera at least 3 ft above the riser so I would not damage the camera (or burn my hand.)
4seasons

Re: Standard Muddy Box

Postby 4seasons » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 am

For some reason I am having trouble posting my videos tonight so here are the 3 that should be above.

4seasons

Postby 4seasons » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 am

I played with air a bit and even got the blue flames that the camera can't seem to pick up. Even though it wasn't the perfect ram horn that the Flame Crasher was throwing the horns are pretty apparent in this video.

Then I threw some more wood on the fire and it happened. The rocket really took off. I had to hold the camera 4 ft over the riser to keep from burning my hand. Gone are the lean over the riser to see the flames peeks I was taking a week ago.

I guess there is a reason that the standard dimensions are standard.
4seasons

Postby matt walker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Oh man, that thing is really working now! You can really tell, even just by sound, when they take off. Nice one, great to see it roaring like that.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm glad you have got it figured out! Once you get it going it's almost scary!

Gases and plasma act like fluid and fluid transport can be tricky. I've been messing with a 4" J for cooking and trying to get a dual riser using Matt's broken riser technique and it's just not working. 2 pipes don't flow the same as 1 pipe flows and when you accomodate for the change in pipe flow it affects CSA in a negative way. Long story short- yep, those numbers are pretty important.

Short story long- I'm going to switch up to a more standard single riser 6" system for the cookstove. It heats way better and is much more consistent. Not to mention, I already have my wood split for a 6" inch system so it just makes more sense all the way around.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby peterberg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:00 pm

regards, Peter
+52° 1' 47.35", +4° 22' 57.60"
peterberg

Postby 4seasons » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 pm

4seasons

Return to Heating and Cooling