Rocket mass heater outside air supply

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket mass heater outside air supply

Postby matt walker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 pm

That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to convey with my poor description as well. Nice.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:05 pm

How much secondary air do you guys let in at the end of the burn tunnel? Do you vary the amount? My experience has been only a constant amount. It looks like Peter has his only beside the venturi. I have allowed air in to the entire end of the tunnel.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby matt walker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Well, for any regular j tube, you don't want to let any air in past the feed, period. If it's a regular L, like a cooker, you really want the air to come in below the fuel, which if you look at the approvecho designs they all have a means of holding the fuel off the floor so air can rush in under the fuel and past the burning tips. Peter's design is basically a J, with a different shaped feed, so his air inlet mimics the regular feed on a J. You definitely don't want to feed air into the riser.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Prescott » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:40 pm

I have given the outside air idea much time and thought. I know a cat that had a couple cabins off the grid and put a 3/4 pipe in under his wood stoves to let in fresh air as the buildings were very tight. His thought was, bring in the air where it's needed. Made sense to me, then...

I thought of running a variety of options in, warming the air in the bench etc.

While doing research online someone (the famous Erica) said something that just closed the deal for me. I will paraphrase what she said (and there is a lot of discussion out there about living in a ziploc Baggie etc) but essentially, "Why would you feed the fire fresh air and breath the stale air in your home?!"

That's just me, I will have a bench of thermal mass and a radiant heated floor (from the rocket stove) and would love to have fresh air moving through my home.

It is really something to hear you guys talking about this BEFORE you had rockets! How we are evolving!
Prescott

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling