Seeking advice or thoughts on a question I have..

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Seeking advice or thoughts on a question I have..

Postby GrahamB » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:33 am

Guy I can't say I dug up the potatoes, but I can say I lifted up the spoilt hay and there they were. I attempt to dig but if I hadn't been a wimp and given up, I'd still be digging today. So I tried a test patch and just placed the seeds on the bare earth and covered them with hay. Like Matt I just kept adding more as they grew. By the time they were ready for harvesting the hay had made a thick solid mat and it just lifted right up.
Another thing I noticed was there were very few weeds among them compared with the patch next to them that I had covered with sixth inches of woodchips. Also the grasshoppers seemed to leave them alone compared to last year when they literallly ate them to the ground.
I intend to leave the hay where it is to let it rot over the winter. I'm planning a larger patch at the moment. I am going to sow some hairy vetch in the next few weeks, lightly covered with hay. Then in the spring I will sow corn, sunflowers, bush peas and amaranth. Once all the spring sowing is down I will cut the vetch and use it mulch the sowing.
I've been reading a lot on Fukuoka and also the early Rodale stuff and kind of adapted to suit my needs. Hopefully this time next year I should have a success story to tell. Oh, I'll be doing the potatoes again on a larger scale.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest