[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Sun Sensitivity of White Pigs

Sun Sensitivity of White Pigs

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Sun Sensitivity of White Pigs

Postby George Collins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 am

"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Sun Sensitivity of White Pigs

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm

That hog's back looks like the top of my head in May when I forget to wear a hat all afternoon! I hadn't thought about using a mudpack for quicker healing. ;)

Do you know if the hogs weren't making use of the shade offered by the cloth? Or, perhaps the area was more reflective and the cloth intensified it, like an umbrella at the beach? (That was my really bad sunburn experience)
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 pm

I have never seen anything like that George. I am glad that your pigs are OK now that you have moved them back under shade. I hope they heal up quickly for you. Thanks for sharing this information, any one who is thinking about raising pigs should now and understand what happened here, it is a great lesson.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:51 am

Guy, the Three Big Pigs are all back to normal. My eldest daughter went out today about noon and made them a wallow and she said they all took turns performing advanced attack dives out of joyous, exuberant ecstasy as they made being a pig look only slightly less fun than an otter makes being an otter look like.

Lolly, I can't say if they were using the shade or not. My guess is that they probably weren't and if they were, their usage was certainly not to the extent needed. The shade cloth only blocks a percentage of the UV rays. Perhaps had it been doubled or if a similarly sized piece of old roofing tin been used the results might have been different. Having said that, no experiments or trials will be forthcoming. The pecan tree has solved the immediate problem. Once the leaves drop, the pen will be relocated under a live oak tree. The long-term solution is to avoid white hogs (which is where Linda and Lou, the quirkie-Berkies come in).
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest