[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Garden 2013

My Garden 2013

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: My Garden 2013

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Dang! That is seriously awesome, Matt! You have quite a bountiful garden there. I've never had any luck with carrots so I've got some carrot envy going on. I love them but they just don't grow in my shallow soils. It looks like you've got more than enough for yourself and probably enough to provide for your critters too.

I love the counter tops too, and the outdoor prep area. Concrete counters have been on my list for years but as for now my current counters are working just fine. Someday...

Do you ever do educational days at your place? I think it's always good to share this kind of stuff with the community (not that all your hard work on this forum isn't sharing and educational!)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks so much Manny. Yep, the cows always meet me at the garden as they know there's too much in there for just me. I'm really happy about the carrots, I went without last year and they are a major staple in my canning cupboard over the winter. They are just plain tricky in my opinion, from starting to thinning to growing to any significant size. I love 'em though, so it's worth it to me. Here's last nights canning run...

I really haven't ever thought about having folks here for any sort of workshop or anything. To be honest, I'm pretty much a hermit, which I think is why I value this interaction here so much. I might not see another human for a couple weeks sometimes, since I do most of my paying work from home, and I don't have much use for a grocery store. I think I'd probably really enjoy sharing my place and ideas with people in the flesh, but I'm not sure how to do that so I just keep making the videos and stuff to show what I'm up to.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:10 am

Yeah, I know what you mean about being a hermit! I could just as soon never see anybody. But I think it's important to be that change that we want to see in the world. I know this site does touch a lot of people... and that's pretty awesome!

I try to have people over often and talk about the things I'm doing at my place. Most people are interested or ask some good questions that make me think through some of the lifestyle choices I make. School kids are the best... it's the grown ups that really drag me down. :D
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Women rarely get called "hermit", even if the shoe fits. :) I will proudly claim the title of "hedge witch" though.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Ha! I love it Lolly, it has a certain ring to it!

Manny, great attitude. You know, I've been thinking a lot lately about that, changing our paradigm, being the change, etc... I'm getting farther and farther from the existing model of how we live, and the more I look at what we are conditioned to do to survive the more I want to opt out, and show folks what's possible. Most of it, the traffic and running and producing nothing to buy more nothing, just makes no sense at all to me. Okay, I'm going to stop there before I spin off the deep end here, but yeah, good words man. Thank you.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest