hoop house rows in cold climates

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

hoop house rows in cold climates

Postby DevilsBrew » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Re: hoop house rows in cold climates

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 pm

I have never tried to extrend the season on the back end. By this time of year I am about done, and so is the garden. Its time to rest. On the front end I have tried to push the season with a hot bed. I have to say I had very limited success. My nieghbor has a greenhouse and put tomatos in pots in there one year. They had been dying back with blight before he put them in. They regrew and produced until Dec when he had to remove the extention cord that ran out his bedroom window because it was getting cold in there, :lol: He also has hoops that he built into his raised beds so he can cover them in plastic. I would have to say that he uses them more in the spring than fall, but they would work either way. I have never tried Kale, but have heard the same thing as you, very cold hardy and produces well into the fall or winter. This year the Farmers Almanac is calling for a very cold winter. If it worked this year it will work any year, why not give it a try. Whats the worst thing that can happen? It doesn't work and the plants die, Oh Well, :lol: you will get one of those Learning Experiances that we all talk about. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 pm

I think it's probably warmer in winter here, but red russian kale here doesn't need any help. The garden is absolutely carpeted in it all winter. If the ground doesn't freeze up for long periods where you are I bet it will do just fine, especially under a bit of protection.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DevilsBrew » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:25 pm

xxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest