Container Gardening with small spaces

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Container Gardening with small spaces

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 pm

I found this idea and liked it a lot. As the worlds population continues to grow we will have to learn ways to grow more food on less space. I thought these barrels were a great idea, whether you have a small back yard or patio for growing things, or you wanted an herb garden close to you back door. They seem to be easy to build yourself with limited tools or skills. I liked the idea. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufEQ6ZljJBE
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Re: Container Gardening with small spaces

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Here is another video showing how these barrels work, and how to make them. I have plenty of land for growing, my garden could be much larger if I wanted to work harder, but I still like this idea. I could see an Herb garden growing close to the kitchen, or perhaps some other use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1C9zP5uJrE
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for the tutorial on how to construct your own tower. I don't think I'll do one in the living room on the carpet, however. :lol:
Lollykoko

Postby DevilsBrew » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:34 am

DB, have you seen the vertical gardens that folks are building with pallets? http://youtu.be/FLVeES6my2o
Lollykoko

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:26 pm

xxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm

The root growth was one reason I liked the Barrel idea. Even though there would be a lot of plants competing for space, there is a lot of space available to them. I liked the design, I liked the area for worms, I liked the area under at the bottom to catch the water and recycle it back into the barrel . All in all I felt they had put a lot of thought and effort into designing something that would work for many people who do not have land , live in an apartment, or rent their place.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby DevilsBrew » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:10 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:46 pm

Five Gal Buckets are a lot easier to acquire than 55 gal plastic barrels. Here is a similar system that uses a 5 gal bucket. It has 20 plants in that very small area. I liked the watering system he uses. This shows growing strawberries [ a plant that is often grown in containers and small spaces ] but it should work just as well with other plants with a fairly small growth pattern. The idea of stacking the buckets on top of each other really increases your yield in a very small foot print. There are many options when using containers to grow your veggies. Your options are limited only by how imaginative you can be. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBh1fjMqjmI
pa_friendly_guy

Postby GrahamB » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

I like the idea of the 5 gallon buckets over the 55 gallon. I have tried several times over the years to grow stuff in barrels (there was a big movement in Britain to grow strawberries in barrels). The one reoccuring problem was irrigation. The plants at the top dried out too quickly and the ones at the bottom rotted. Unless you could do a hydroponic thing with water constantly moving through it, it's just too big a distance from the top to the bottom to keep at the right moisture content. With the 5 gall, you wouldn't have that problem. The biggest reason I like it though is I have a cartload of those buckets. :D
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest