[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - As I Sit Here Making Sepp's Bone Sauce

As I Sit Here Making Sepp's Bone Sauce

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

As I Sit Here Making Sepp's Bone Sauce

Postby George Collins » Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

After having cooked all the goodies out of six pig feet, I deboned them puppies and decided to have a go at some of Sepp Holzer's bone sauce.

To start with, I "borrowed" a couple of Youngblood's round bottomed, cast iron pots. (In my defense, they were as rusty as my pool skills and needed to be re-seasoned anyways.)

I dug a pit and readied the bottom pot by putting about a half cup of water in it.

I made a wire rack from some scrap left over from another project. Next, I fashioned a wire "basket" of an even finer mesh that I bummed off Youngblood. All of the bones from the pig feet were placed in the wire basket and that was in turn was set upon the grate.

The top pot was put in position.

The seam between the two pots was then sealed with clay I had the kids fetch from the stream.

I buried the whole contraption in the ground, piled dirt up around it to make sure that all of the clay was well covered then poured several gallons of water around the edge of the hole to settle the dirt in (Sepp did this in a video. I've no idea if its necessary but since he did it, I did it.)

A fire was built out of some old, manky fire wood.

Having gotten this far in the process, I can already pass along one improvement that could be made: the wire grate should be larger that the diameter of the pots by about two inches. The excess wire would serve the same purpose as using rebar when pouring concrete.

I have a timer set for two hours to let me know the minimum time to keep the fire burning. After the timer goes off, I plan to let the fire go out on its own. The whole set-up will be left in situ over night.

Tomorrow, when I dig it up, I'll relate the results (or perhaps delete this thread and pretend the whole thing never happened;).
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: As I Sit Here Making Sepp's Bone Sauce

Postby Lollykoko » Mon May 12, 2014 10:28 pm

The bone sauce is for painting on trees to repel gnawing critters, isn't it George? I have a couple of rusty kettles that haven't made it to the shot blaster yet. I will be watching for updates. ;)
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:47 pm

I am interested in hearing about your results George. From what Sepp said it will keep deer away for up to 10 years. That sounded amazing to me, truly unbelievable. :o To think that something would work that long and not wash off or loose its potency was just hard to believe. But he swears by it, so I am glad that someone actually tried it to see how it works. Keep us posted how the whole process goes, and what the finished product smells like.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Tue May 13, 2014 1:30 pm

OK, I get it now.

It's not that it smells disgusting (even though it does), it's the strength of the smell that is so off-putting.

The actual smell is that of burnt grill. But, like a skunk, the deterrent is that the smell is so completely overwhelming. To illustrate how strong it is, when I first dug it out of the ground and separated the pots, the smell wasn't that strong. I took the pot onto the carport while I walked inside to get a container to use for long-term storage. I got distracted for a few minutes and when I walked back outside I knew instantly that I had made a mistake.

I moved the pot WAY out into the yard where I poured it into a plastic jug. It was time to feed the hogs so we left for the 20 minutes or so it took to accomplish that task. Upon returning, the smell had abated but little. It's now been a couple hours and the smell is still faintly present.

The bones looked just like I expected them to:

The oil itself is a disgusting shade of a black that looks like something Satan himself would bathe in.

Now for the true test, Lolly. Later today I will start painting it onto the trunks and lower limbs of our trees. Only time will tell if this stuff works as advertised.

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Tue May 13, 2014 2:38 pm

Wow, George, awesome to see someone actually doing this! Also, gross. But, I did just plant 40-some more trees, so I'm curious, for sure. Maybe we all need to pitch in and get you a game cam to set up on a tree near a deer path.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Tue May 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Bone sauce was just used in its first practical, albeit experimental, application on our farm.

Cardinals and crows did a number on Youngblood's (and to a much lesser extent my) corn crop. Today we replanted where they had the worst effect. To hopefully deter them from future foraging expeditions into our labors, the seeds were coated with bone sauce prior to planting. (FYI, the total yield from yesterday's batch was about two cups.) To coat the corn seeds took an amount immeasurably small and even then I poured in too much. The down side to putting the bone sauce on the seeds was that it made planting with a seed drill impossible so we had to do it by hand.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Sat May 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Let me preface this post with these thoughts:

1. After having seen pigs interact with trees of all sizes, I've not yet seen the need to protect a tree from a pig other than when pigs are tightly confined around trees and damage them secondary to boredom.

2. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, I've read or heard that Sepp's bone sauce is supposed to keep any and all animals, including pigs, from damaging trees.

3. Having never seen it first hand, I AM ASSUMING I CORRECTLY MADE Sepp's bone sauce.

4. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WANT Sepp's bone sauce to work as advertised.

All that said, check this out:

After Linda ate it with too much fuss, I became the only man I know of to actually taste Sepp's bone sauce.

In anticipation of having Ella (our milk cow) arrive in the near future, knowing that she will reside in the pasture where I've planted the Hog Food Forest, I wasted no time in applying Sepp's bone sauce to every tree we've planted. While doing so, I inevitably got a several splatters on my hands. Having just seen Linda consume four pears maximally coated with bone sauce without too much hesitation, I just had to give it a try. I tasted it three separate times. The first time was a small spot, the second was a slightly bigger spot and the third was bigger still. The largest of the spots was about 1/4 the size of a dime.

Impressions:
1. It tastes terrible.
2. It has a burning effect kinda like eating something with too much black pepper on it but no where near the effect that something like Cheyenne pepper has.
3. It lingers. As I type this, it's been about 30 minutes since the taste test and I can still taste it albeit much more faintly.
4. If I were starving and someone gave me food covered in Sepp's bone sauce, I think I could choke it down.
5. I can't ever see myself using bone sauce as a condiment on a hamburger by choice.

I think that bone sauce works more as a moderate deterrent rather than an absolute barrier that makes anything unlucky enough to ingest it run for the hills screaming for relief.

All that said, just because a hog and I were able to voluntarily ingest it on multiple occasions, that's not to say that a deer and (hopefully) a cow won't run for the hills screaming for relief if they do.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Sat May 17, 2014 11:29 pm

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Sun May 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I rushed out this morning to see if my experiment at "runnin tar" had been successful. After disassembling the kiln(?), what I found was:

1. Charcoal

2. A little bit more than this much tar(?)

One difference between this stuff and bone sauce is the tar is extremely sticky. I'd imagine that if anything were to bite down on something coated with tar, they'd be in for one nasty mouth feel. As for the taste, it tastes sorta like the bone sauce mixed with turpentine. Knowing little about the use of either product, my guess is that this stuff would be just as effective as bone sauce for deterring predation by herbivores. Perhaps, it may even be moreso.

I have a friend that keeps goats. At the first opportunity, I'm going to his house to offer his goats some treats coated in either bone sauce or tar and see how they react to each.

Video of what I hope to be goats gagging, spitting and sputtering to follow.

My hope is that the tar will work better than bone sauce because, in this part of the world, fat pine is far more readily available than bones.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Mon May 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Here is what bone sauce does to a cucumber plant.

George Collins

Next

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest