[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - The End of Suburbia - 52 minute documentary on peak oil

The End of Suburbia - 52 minute documentary on peak oil

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

The End of Suburbia - 52 minute documentary on peak oil

Postby George Collins » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 pm

My own journey that culminated in Permaculture as a way of life started with the study of Wilderness Survival. Studying survival related topics led to primitive living which in turn led to sustainable living. Part of the informational environment which caused me to lunge at the opportunity to study survival related topics was information I had happened upon in the late 90s that dealt with the economic armageddon we face because of, in large part, the aging of the baby boom. Subsequent to that, I found out we faced a classic double-whammy in that the world would face the consequences of peak oil almost simultaneous to the lead of the baby boomers hitting retirement age.

Tis a perfect storm approaching.

Permaculture is a critical component of the only long-term solution I can fathom.

Whether or not we regress technologically seems to be a foregone conclusion. Not that the technology will be lost, just that it will be prohibitively expensive for the middle class. More will be required to do more with less. i.e. The obesity rate is likely to lessen.

Those already on the margins will face Hell on Earth.

The last vestiges of ancient sunlight ought be spent wisely, diverted towards systems designed to see humanity through the turmoil that will surely come.

Right now the world faces some rude choices:
- Buy another DVD or a pear tree
- Hire a backhoe to dig a swimming pool or dig a swale
- Plant a Bradford Pear or a Mayhaw tree
- Watch the Super Bowl or manure your garden
- Mow the lawn or plant Blueberries
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: The End of Suburbia - 52 minute documentary on peak oil

Postby boo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Thank you for posting this George.